A practical handbook on evaluating muscular strength and function, Daniels and Worthingham's Muscle Testing: Techniques of Manual Examination and Performance Testing, 9th Edition makes it easy to understand and master procedures in manual muscle testing and performance testing. Clear, illustrated instructions provide a guide to patient positioning, direction of motion, and direction of resistance. In addition to muscle testing of normal individuals and others with weakness or paralysis, this edition includes new coverage of alternative strength tests and performance tests for older adults and others with functional decline (such as the inactive and obese). Written by educators Helen J. Hislop, Dale Avers, and Marybeth Brown, this classic physical therapy reference now features an Evolve companion website with video clips demonstrating key muscle testing techniques.
- Drawings and arrows along with clear written directions make it easy to understand and perform muscle testing procedures, allowing you to assess deficits in strength, balance, and range of motion.
- More than 600 illustrations clearly show testing sequences, muscle anatomy, and muscle innervation.
- Video clips of over 100 muscle tests on the Evolve companion website demonstrate the art and technique of muscle testing in a clinical setting.
- Details of muscle anatomy and innervation help in linking muscle topography with function.
- Helpful Hints and Substitutions boxes provide additional tips and highlight muscle substitutions that may occur during a test to ensure greater accuracy in testing.
- A constant reference number clearly identifies each muscle in the body, indexed in the Alphabetical List of Muscles by Region as well as in the Ready Reference Anatomy Manual on Evolve, to speed cross-referencing and help you quickly identify any muscle.
1. Principles of Manual Muscle Testing
2. Relevance and Limitations of Manual Muscle Testing NEW!
3. Testing the Muscles of the Neck
4. Testing the Muscles of the Trunk
5. Testing the Muscles of the Upper Extremity
6. Testing the Muscles of the Lower Extremity
7. Assessment of Muscles Innervated by Cranial Nerves
8. Alternatives to Manual Muscle Testing NEW!
9. Testing Functional Abilities NEW!
10. Case Studies NEW!
11. Ready Reference Anatomy
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier India 2013
- 25th February 2013
- Elsevier India
- Hardcover ISBN:
est professeur et chef de département, département de biokinésiologie et thérapie physique, université de Californie du Sud, Los Angeles, Californie.
Professor Emerita, Department of Biokinesiology and Physical Therapy, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
Director, Transitional DPT Program, Department of Physical Therapy Education, College of Health Professions, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY
Professor Department of Physical Therapy University of Missouri School of Health Professions Columbia, Missouri