Often referred to as "the bible of hematology," this highly successful, practical manual is the place to turn to for every aspect of laboratory hematology. The book covers all of the techniques used in the investigation of patients with blood disorders, including the latest technologies as well as the tried-and-true manual methods of measurement. It comprehensively discusses which test to use for each situation, the principles of each test, possible causes of error, and the interpretation and clinical significance of the findings. Each chapter conforms to a template, providing quick, easy access to key information. Extensive updates throughout bring you expert guidance on advancing technologies as well as contemporary laboratory organization and management, while retaining the strengths that have made this book an essential reference on laboratory hematology for over 50 years!
- Contains crucial instructions for performing and interpreting lab tests in any sized laboratory.
- Provides complete coverage of all levels of diagnostic testing from the basic to the most advanced.
- Uses helpful decision trees to make the critical information you need easy to locate and understand.
- Features state-of-the-art information on the hottest areas of the field, including Diagnostic Radionuclides in Hematology and Molecular and Cytogenetic Techniques.
- Demonstrates important lab findings with over 300 illustrations and color photographs.
- Collection and Handling of Blood
2. Reference Ranges and Normal Values
3. Basic Haematological Techniques
4. Preparation and Staining Methods for Blood and Bone Marrow Films
5. Blood Cell Morphology in Health and Disease
6. Bone Marrow Biopsy
7. Iron Deficiency Anaemia and Iron Overload
8. Investigation of Megaloblastic Anaemia – Cobalamin, Folate, and Metabolite Status
9. Laboratory Methods Used in the Investigation of the Haemolytic Anaemias
10. Investigation of the Hereditary Haemolytic Anaemias: Membrane and Enzyme Abnormalities
11. Acquired Haemolytic Anaemias
12. Investigation of Abnormal Haemoglobins and Thalassaemia
13. Erythrocyte and Leucocyte Cytochemistry
15. Diagnostic Radioisotopes in Haematology
16. Investigation of Haemostasis
17. Investigation of a Thrombotic Tendency
18. Laboratory Control of Anticoagulant, Thrombolytic and Antiplatelet Therapy
19. Blood Cell Antigens and Antibodies: Erythrocytes, Platelets and Granulocytes
20. Laboratory Aspects of Blood Transfusion
21. Molecular and Cytogenetic Analysis
22. Miscellaneous Tests
23. Approach to the Diagnosis and Classification of Blood Diseases
24. Laboratory Organization and Management
25. Laboratory Safety
26. Quality Assurance
27. Haematology in Under-Resourced Laboratories
- No. of pages:
- © Churchill Livingstone 2006
- 24th March 2006
- Churchill Livingstone
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Emeritus Reader in Haematology, University of London; Senior Research Fellow in Haematology, Imperial College School of Medicine, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK
Professor in Diagnostic Haematology, St Mary’s Hospital Campus of Imperial College Faculty of Medicine; Honorary Consultant Haematologist, St Mary's Hospital and Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, London, UK
Professor of Haematology, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK