Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Cross-Cultural Family Research and Practice broadens the theoretical and clinical perspectives on couple and family cross-cultural research with insights from a diverse set of disciplines, including psychology, sociology, communications, economics, and more. Examining topics such as family migration, acculturation and implications for clinical intervention, the book starts by providing an overarching conceptual framework, then moves into a comparison of countries and cultures, with an overview of cross-cultural studies of the family across nations from a range of specific disciplinary perspectives. Other sections focus on acculturation, migrating/migrated families and their descendants, and clinical practice with culturally diverse families.
- Studies cultural influences in couple and family relationships
- Features a broadly interdisciplinary perspective
- Looks at how cultural differences affect how families are structured and function
- Explores why certain immigrant groups adapt better to new countries than others
- Discusses why certain countries are better at integrating immigrants than others
Researchers across a range of social and behavioural sciences (psychology; sociology; family studies); mental health professionals working with culturally-diverse families
1. Introduction setting the stage
ESSENTIAL FORMS AND FUNCTIONS OF FAMILIES
2. Evolution and the family
3. Demography of the family, marriage, divorce and parenting
4. The Second Demographic Transition: Cohabitation
5. Family law across cultures
6. The intra-family balance of power: Cross cultural evidence
7. Couple Communication from a Cross-Cultural Perspective
8. Family violence: an International perspective
9. GLBT people and family
INFLUENCES ON FAMILY FUNCTIONING
10. Work-family balance in cultural context
11. Families and physical health
12. The interface between family wellbeing and government policy in Australia
13. Migration patterns and families
14. The Anti-Immigrant sentiment and Its impact on immigrant families
15. Family Interventions and Armed Conflict
16. Family therapy and culture
17. Culture, couple relationships and couple education
18. Parenting interventions and culture
19. The Triple P parentiing program across cultures
20. Culture and Family-Based Intervention for schizophrenia, bipolar, and other psychotic related spectrum disorders
21. Families and culture: Research and Practice
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2020
- 13th August 2020
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Dr. Halford is an internationally known couple and family therapist with a strong emphasis on cross-cultural perspectives. He has authored or edited close to 200 scientific publications, including 8 books, with more than 5500 career citations of his work. Dr. Halford serves on the editorial boards of leading international journals such as the Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, Journal of Family Psychology, and Family Process.
Professor, Clinical Psychology, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Dr. van de Vijver has authored or edited close to 500 publications, mostly in the domain of cross-cultural psychology. He was the 2013 recipient of the International Award of the American Psychological Association and the 2014 recipient of the IAAP Fellows Award. He is the former editor of the Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology and serves on the board of various other journals. He is also former president of Division 2 (Assessment and Evaluation) of the International Association of Applied Psychology.
Professor, Cross Cultural Psychology, Tilburg University, The Netherlands
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.