Develop the critical thinking and reasoning skills you need to make sound clinical judgments! Alfaro-LeFevre's Critical Thinking, Clinical Reasoning, and Clinical Judgment: A Practical Approach, 7th Edition brings these concepts to life through engaging text, diverse learning activities, and real-life examples. Easy-to-understand language and a "how-to" approach equip you to become a sensible, resilient critical thinker with the clinical reasoning skills you need to think think through complex issues and make sound clinical decisions. This edition emphasizes readiness for clinical practice and the Next Generation NCLEX exam, with a focus on systems thinking, interprofessional practice, nursing skills for the 21st century, and Quality and Safety for Nursing Education (QSEN) competencies.
- Clear, straightforward approach and motivational writing style provides vivid examples, memorable anecdotes, and real-life case scenarios to make content come alive.
- Focus on application ("how to") with supporting rationales (theory) makes difficult concepts easy to learn.
- Critical Thinking Indicators feature evidence-based descriptions of behaviors that foster critical thinking in nursing practice.
- Highlighted features and sections that promote deep learning include: This Chapter at a Glance, Learning Outcomes, Key Concepts, Guiding Principle boxes, Critical Moments boxes, Other Perspectives features, Think-Pair-Share activities, H.M.O. (Help Me Out) cartoons, real-life clinical scenarios, Key Points, Critical Thinking Exercises, and more!
- Cultural, spiritual, and lifespan content explores the nurse’s role in hospitals, long-term care settings, and entire communities, presenting a broad approach to critical thinking.
- Inclusion of ethics- and standards-based professional practice reflects the increased demand for accountability in today’s professional climate.
- Timely coverage of the latest in nursing education and critical thinking includes concept-based learning; QSEN and IOM standards; problem-focused versus outcome-focused thinking; prioritization and delegation; developing a culture of safe, healthy work environments; expanding roles related to diagnosis and management; improving grades and passing tests the first time; NCLEX exam preparation; ensuring that documentation reflects critical thinking; communication and interpersonal skills; strategies for common workplace challenges; and more.
1. What are Critical Thinking, Clinical Reasoning, and Clinical Judgment?
2. Becoming a Critical Thinker
3. Critical Thinking and Learning Cultures: Teaching, Learning, and Taking Tests
4. Interprofessional Clinical Reasoning, Decision Making, and Judgment
5. Ethical Reasoning, Professionalism, Evidence-Based Practice, and Quality Improvement
6. Practicing Clinical Reasoning, Clinical Judgment, and Decision-making Skills
7. Interprofessional Practice Skills: Communication, Teamwork, and Self-Management NEW interprofessional collaboration focus!
Appendix A. Concept Mapping
Appendix B. Nursing Process Summary
Appendix C. Examples of CTIs within 4-Circle Model (New)
Appendix D. Patient’s Rights and Nurses’ Rights
Appendix E. DEAD ON Game
Appendix F. Key Brain Parts Involved in Thinking
Appendix G. Example SBAR Tool
Appendix H. Results of Two Studies Describing Critical Thinking Skills
Appendix I. Example Responses for Critical Thinking and Clinical Reasoning Exercises
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2020
- 1st October 2019
- Paperback ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
President, Teaching Smart/Learning Easy, Stuart, FL