For physicians and nurses in critical care medicine, the increased demand and use of ultrasound necessitates further training. Critical Care Ultrasound helps meet that need. A straightforward, practical approach, an abundance of detailed ultrasound images and online video demonstrations provide step-by-step guidance on the principles and effective use of this important imaging modality in both diagnosis and assistance with specific procedures. Coverage includes the latest applications of ultrasound for neurologic critical care; vascular problems; chest; hemodynamic monitoring; and abdominal and emergency uses, as well as assistance in a variety of specific procedures in critical care medicine.
"...the book aims to and succeeds in fulfilling the appetite of different levels of expert in the use of ultrasound – fromthe beginner to the advanced practitioner." Reviewed by British Journal of Anaesthesia, June 2015
"This book is a tremendous resource of practical knowledge and reference material. It will be of great help to trainees, critical care specialists, ICU nursing, allied health professionals, and anyone practicing acute medicine. Editors Philip Lumb and Dimitrios Karakitsos and the contributors are to be congratulated. " Foreword by: Professor Teik E. Oh, AM , University of Western Australia, May 2015
- Incorporate a holistic approach. Visualize all or any parts of the body, tissues, organs and systems in their live, anatomically and functionally interconnected state and in the context of the whole patient’s clinical circumstances.
- See exactly how it’s done. Numerous ultrasound images and dozens of videos demonstrate the use of ultrasound in critical care.
- Rely on the guidance of more than 80 different experts from Australia, China, Middle East, Europe, USA, and Canada regarding the current and future use of CCU.
- Adapt the use of emergency ultrasound in specialized out-of-hospital (i.e., war zones, animals) and in-hospital (i.e., pediatric units) settings. Additionally, issues regarding CCU logistics, training, and education are analyzed for the first time.
- Access the complete contents, images, and video online at Expert Consult —fully searchable!
Critical Care Ultrasound
Section I – FUNDAMENTALS
1. Fundamentals: Ultrasound Physics and Principles; Equipment and Imaging Modes; Image Quality and Optimization; Artifacts; Ultrasound Technique and Safety Issues; Emergency Ultrasound; Critical Care Ultrasound
Section II – NEUROCRITICAL CARE
2. Transcranial Doppler Ultrasound in Neurocritical Care
3. Transcranial Doppler in aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage- Consultant level examination
4. Transcranial Doppler in the diagnosis of cerebral circulatory arrest- Consultant level examination
5. Use of Transcranial Doppler Sonography in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit - Consultant level examination
6. Ocular ultrasound in the intensive care unit- Consultant level examination
7. General Chest Ultrasound in Neurocritical Care
Section III – VASCULAR ULTRASOUND
8. Overview of the arterial system
9. Ultrasonography for Deep Venous Thrombosis
10. Ultrasound guided central venous access: the basics
11. UGVA Trends and Perspectives
12. How to choose the most appropriate ultrasound guided approach for central line insertion: introducing the rapid central venous assessment (RaCeVA) protocol
13. Pediatric Ultrasound Vascular Access
14. Ultrasound Guided Peripheral Intravenous Access
15. Percutaneous Inserted Central Catheters
16. Ultrasound Guided Arterial Catheterization
17. Intravascular Ultrasound (IVUS)- Consultant level examination
18. Ultrasound Guided Placement of IVC Filters- Consultant level examination
Section IV – LUNG AND PLEURAL ULTRASOUND
19. Lung Ultrasound: the basics
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2014
- 23rd January 2014
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN: