- Print ISBN 9781455730520
- Electronic ISBN 9781455730568
This classic introduction to criminal law for criminal justice students combines the best features of a casebook and a textbook. Criminal Law covers substantive criminal law and explores its principles, sources, distinctions, and limitations. Definitions and elements of crimes are explained, and defenses to crimes are thoroughly analyzed. A unique strength of Criminal Law is its discussion of the federal criminal code and the specific recognition of the common-law origins of modern law.
NEW to this Edition:
- Coverage of terrorism and associated law.
- Student ancillary aids, including self assessment, a question bank, and case study assets.
- Updated Legal News sections.
- Each chapter includes outline, key terms and concepts, guidance to help the reader understand what is important in each chapter, as well as Legal News sections, highlighting current criminal law issues.
- Part II contains briefs of judicial decisions related to the topics covered in the text, in order to help the reader learn rule of law as well as the reasoning of the court that guides future court rulings.
- Part III contains a glossary and a table of cases.
Students and beginning professionals in the criminal justice field.
1. Defining Crime
2. Principles of Criminal Liability
3. Capacity and Defenses
4. Preparatory Activity Offenses
5. Offenses Against Persons—Excluding Sex Offenses
6. Offenses Against Persons—Sex Related
7. Offenses Against Property—Destruction and Intrusion Offenses
8. Offenses Involving Theft and Deception
9. Offenses Involving Morality and Decency
10. Offenses Against Public Peace
11. Offenses Against Justice Administration
12. United States Criminal Code: Offenses Against Persons and Property
13. United States Criminal Code: Other Offenses
Part II: Judicial Decisions Relating to Part I
Part III: Constitution of the United States of America, Glossary, and Table of Cases
abandonment; accessory after the fact; actus reus; affirmative defense; alibi; anti-stalking law; Anti-structuring; antitrust laws; arson; asportation; assault; assisted suicide; attempt; battered woman defense; battery; Bill of Rights; breaking and entering; bribery; burden of proof; burglary; burning; caption; carjacking; carnal knowledge; cartilage; cheats; child pornography; churning; commerce clause; commercial bribery; common law; concurrence; conspiracy; constructive possession; controlled substance; controlled substances; conversion; corporate crime; counterterrorism laws; Courts of Appeal; crime; criminal mischief; criminal simulation; custody; deliver; depraved heart murder; deviate sexual intercourse; disorderly conduct; District Courts; dominion; double jeopardy; drunkenness; due process; duress; Durham Rule; dwelling; eavesdropping; embezzlement; entrapment; entrapment by estoppels; environmental crime; escape; evading; ex post facto laws; excusable homicide; extortion; extraneous intervening factors; factual impossibility; failure to identify statutes; Fair Labor Standards Act; false advertising; false pretenses; false swearing; felony; fe
- No. of pages:
- © 2013
- 29th August 2012
- Print ISBN:
- Electronic ISBN:
"Criminal justice students will find this text to be a combination of a casebook and a textbook…This edition provides new expanded coverage of terrorism and associated law."--Evidence Technology Magazine, July-August 2013