Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Corn: Chemistry and Technology, Third Edition, provides a broad perspective on corn from expert agronomists, food scientists and geneticists. This encyclopedic storehouse of comprehensive information on all aspects of the world’s largest crop (in metric tons) includes extensive coverage of recent development in genetic modification for the generation of new hybrids and genotypes. New chapters highlight the importance of corn as a raw material for the production of fuel bioethanol and the emerging topic of phytochemicals or nutraceutical compounds associated to different types of corns and their effect on human health, especially in the prevention of chronic diseases and cancer.
Written by international experts on corn, and edited by a highly respected academics, this new edition will remain the industry standard on the topic.
- Presents new chapters that deal with specialty corns, the production of first generation bioethanol, and the important relationship of corn phytochemicals or nutraceuticals with human health
- Provides contributions from a new editor and a number of new contributors who bring a fresh take on this highly successful volume
- Includes vastly increased content relating to recent developments in genetic modification for the generation of new hybrids and genotypes
- Contains encyclopedic coverage of grain chemistry and nutritional quality of this extensively farmed product
- Covers the production and handling of corn, with both food and non-food applications
Scientists and engineers who utilize corn for food, feed, and industrial materials in both science and industry. Reference for academics, Corn growers, Industrial R&D including food, feeds, and bioenergy, etc.
1. Corn Perspective and Culture
2. Breeding, Genetics and Seed Corn Production
3. Genetic Modification of Corn
4. Economics of Production, Marketing and Utilization
5. Harvesting and Postharvest Management
6. Description, Development, Structure, and Composition of the Corn Kernel
7. Measurement and Maintenance of Corn Quality
8. Effect and Control of Insects, Molds and Rodents Affecting Corn Quality
9. Mycotoxins in Corn: Occurrence, Impact and Management
10. Regular and Specialty Corns
11. Carbohydrates of the Kernel
12. Proteins of the Kernel
13. Lipids of the Kernel
14. Minor Constituents and Phytochemicals of the Kernel
15. Corn Dry Milling Processes, Products and Applications
16. Food Uses of Whole Corn and Dry-Milled Fractions
17. Corn Wet Milling Process and Products
18. Corn Starch Modification and Uses
19. Corn Sweeteners
20. Corn Oil: Composition, Processing and Utilization
21. Fuel Bioethanol and Other Fermentation Processes
22. Nutrition Properties of Corn and its By-Products
23. Feeding Value of Corn and its By-Products
23. Applications of Corn Stover and Fiber
- No. of pages:
- 10th November 2018
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Sergio O. Serna Saldivar is a professor of food science at the Monterrey Institute of Technology and Higher Education, Monterrey, Mexico as well as being the Director of the Center for Research and Development of Protein (CIDPRO) also located in Monterrey, Mexico. Previously he was a research scientist at Texas A & M University, and international consultant at the Center Nacional de Pesquisas Food in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, as well as being an associate professor at the University of Sonora in Hermosillo, Mexico. He has published seven books, over 30 chapters, and over 130 refereed articles in journals. He has been a consultant to various national and international companies in the food industry.
Monterrey Institute of Technology and Higher Education, Monterrey, Mexico
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.