- Evaluation of surgical evidence
- Perioperative care and enhanced recovery
- Organisation of emergency general surgical services
- Patient assessment and surgical risk
- Perioperative and intensive care management of the surgical patient
- Surgical nutrition
- Abdominal hernias
- Neck surgery for the general surgeon
- Human factors and patient safety in surgery
- Principles of organ donation and general surgery in the transplant patient
- Early assessment of the acute abdomen
- Perforation of the upper gastrointestinal tract
- Acute non-variceal upper gastrointestinal bleeding
- Pancreaticobiliary emergencies
- Acute conditions of the small bowel and appendix
- Colonic emergencies
- Anorectal emergencies
- Paediatric surgical emergencies
- Management of trauma for the general surgeon
- Abdominal sepsis and abdominal compartment syndrome
- Complications of bariatric surgery presenting to the general surgeon and considerations for the general surgeon when operating on the obese patient
Core Topics in General and Emergency Surgery meets the needs of surgeons in higher training and practising consultants for a contemporary and evidence-based account of general surgery in both elective and emergency situations. It is a practical reference source incorporating the most current information on recent developments, management issues and operative procedures. The text is thoroughly referenced and supported by evidence-based recommendations wherever possible, distinguishing between strong evidence to support a conclusion, and evidence suggesting that a recommendation can be reached on the balance of probabilities.
For this Sixth Edition the authorship team across the series has been expanded to include additional European and World experts, with an increased emphasis on global practice. Throughout all six volumes the contents have been extensively revised in line with recently published evidence. Detailed supportive key references are provided and are also included within the comprehensive list of references in the accompanying ebook. Links to recommended online videos have been added where appropriate.
- The Companion to Specialist Surgical Practice series provides a current and concise summary of the key topics within the major sub-specialties of general surgery.
- Each volume highlights evidence-based practice both in the text and within the extensive list of references at the end of every chapter.
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2019
- 2nd July 2018
- Hardcover ISBN:
Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer, Clinical Surgery, The University of Edinburgh; Consultant General and Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeon, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Clinical Senior Lecturer Coloproctology, University of Edinburgh; Honorary Consultant Colorectal Surgeon,Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, UK