1. Evaluation of surgical literature
2. Peri-operative care and enhanced recovery
3. Organisation of emergency general surgical services
4. Patient assessment and surgical risk
5. Intensive care management of the surgical patient
6. Surgical nutrition
7. Abdominal hernias
8. Neck surgery for the general surgeon
9. Patient safety and human factors in surgery
10. Principles of organ donation and general surgery in the transplant patient
11. The acute abdomen: early assessment and investigation
12. Perforations of the upper gastrointestinal tract
13. Acute non-variceal upper gastro-intestinal bleeding
14. Pancreatico-biliary emergencies
15. Acute conditions of the small bowel and appendix
16. Colonic emergencies
17. Anorectal emergencies
18. Paediatric surgical emergencies
19. Management of trauma for the general surgeon
20. Abdominal sepsis and abdominal compartment syndrome
21. Operating on the obese patient and complications of bariatric surgery
Core Topics in General and Emergency Surgery meets the needs of surgeons in higher training and practising consultants for a contemporary and evidence-based account of general surgery in both elective and emergency situations. It is a practical reference source incorporating the most current information on recent developments, management issues and operative procedures. The text is thoroughly referenced and supported by evidence-based recommendations wherever possible, distinguishing between strong evidence to support a conclusion, and evidence suggesting that a recommendation can be reached on the balance of probabilities.
This is a title in the Companion to Specialist Surgical Practice series whose six volumes are an established and highly regarded source of information for trainee and specialist general surgeons.
- The Companion to Specialist Surgical Practice series provides a current and concise summary of the key topics within the major sub-specialties of general surgery.
- Each volume highlights evidence-based practice both in the text and within the extensive list of references at the end of every chapter.
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2019
- 2nd July 2018
- Hardcover ISBN:
Honorary Senior Lecturer, Clinical and Surgical Sciences (Surgery), University of Edinburgh; Consultant General and Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeon, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, UK
Clinical Senior Lecturer in Colorectal Surgery, University of Edinburgh, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh