Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Coral Reef Marine Plants of Hainan Island summarizes the literature on the role and use of marine plants in coral reef ecosystems, especially in China and countries in the Asia-Pacific Region. The first chapter of the book focuses on the description of coral reef ecosystems, their architecture, and status of Hainan coral reefs. The second chapter focuses on common knowledge surrounding marine plants, such as their classification, identifying characteristics of different phyla, morphology, reproduction, life forms, main algal communities on coral reefs, distribution of algae on coral reefs and their roles, and the use of seaweeds in cookery, medicine, industry, and agriculture.
The third chapter on the seaweed flora of Hainan Island contains species composition of the marine benthic flora, the complete list of marine plants found by researchers from all studies, and historical changes in the flora and seasonal changes. The final chapter shows how to identify common species of marine plants on coral reefs of Hainan Island.
This excellent work will help readers identify relevant plants, also teaching them how to use plant resources to assess endangered states and create conservation strategies.
- Presents the first publication devoted to the description of marine plants of Hainan Island
- Describes marine plants, including the role of their communities in ecosystems of coral reef
- Discusses seasonal and decadal changes in biodiversity and the composition of the marine flora of the island
- Combines fundamental morphology with utilization and related products
Graduates and researchers in plant science and marine science, marine biology, oceanography and environmental science. This book also can be used as reference titles for biology students, teachers, nature lovers, amateur naturalists, conservation workers
Chapter 1. Coral Reefs
- 1.1. Coral Reef Ecosystems
- 1.2. Architecture of Coral Reefs
- 1.3. Status of Hainan Island Coral Reefs
Chapter 2. Marine Plants of Coral Reefs
- 2.1. Classification
- 2.2. Identifying the Characteristics of Representatives From Different Phyla
- 2.3. Morphology of Seaweeds
- 2.4. Morphofunctional Forms of Algae
- 2.5. Reproduction
- 2.6. Life Forms of Benthic Marine Plants
- 2.7. Main Algal Communities on Coral Reefs
- 2.8. Distribution of Algae on Coral Reef and Factors Regulating Their Expansion
- 2.9. Role of Marine Plants in the Coral Reef Ecosystem
- 2.10. Influence of Natural Catastrophes and Human Activities on the Marine Flora and Fauna of Coral Reefs
- 2.11. Useful Marine Plants and Their Utilization
- 2.12. The Use of Marine Plants in China
Chapter 3. Common Seaweed Flora of Coral Reefs in Hainan Island
- 3.1. Species Composition of the Marine Benthic Flora
- 3.2. Historical Changes in the Marine Flora
Chapter 4. Common Marine Algae of Hainan Island (Guidebook)
- 4.1. Phylum Chlorophyta
- 4.2. Ochrophyta
- 4.3. Rhodophyta
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2017
- 21st November 2016
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Dr. Titlyanov graduated from Far Eastern State University at Vladivostok in 1963 and got bachelor degree, and got master degree from Leningrad State University on specialty plant biochemistry in 1966. He is the head of the Laboratory of the Physiology of Marine Autotrophic Organisms, A.V. Zhirmunsky Institute of Marine Biology, Far Eastern Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences. His research areas include macroalgae and coral distribution dependent upon light and other environmental factors, the autotrophic and heterotrophic functions of the various reef-building coral species and range of their habitat. During last 15 years Prof. Titlyanov E. A. carried out the investigations in the field of adaptation of marine algae, both multicellular and unicellular (zooxanthellae), to quantity and spectral composition of light. He published more than 50 papers and 4 books.
Professor, Institute of Marine Biology, Russia
She is scientific researcher of the Laboratory of the Physiology of Marine Autotrophic Organisms, A.V. Zhirmunsky Institute of Marine Biology, Far Eastern Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences. And she is interested in Taxonomy of marine algae and seaweeds of the tropical and subtropical zones.
Institute of Marine Biology, Russia
Associate Professor in coral reef ecology, South China Sea Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
She is currently leading a research group on coral reef ecology and coral taxonomy with ten faculty members and six graduate students.
Her recent research work focuses on (1) coral taxonomy; (2)status and species distribution of coral reef and coral communities in China’s coastal and oceanic waters, and in particular the taxonomy of stony corals and gorgonian; (3) health status and evaluation on coral reef and coral communities in China, especially the degradation process under local sediment/eutrophication stress and global change ambience; (4) conservation and management strategy of coral reef ecosystem and marine biodiversity.
Professor of marine biology (coral reef ecolgoy), South China Sea Institute of Oceanoloy, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China