This essential handbook provides clinicians with a summary of contraindications and precautions to review before treating patients seeking physical rehabilitation. This detailed resource discusses all of the contraindications in one convenient source and includes the full range of interventions, ranging from physical agents to supportive devices to therapeutic exercises. Organized by ICD categories and referenced from multiple sources, with strong coverage of adverse events, this handbook helps to ensure safe practice.
- Provides crucial, easily accessible information to refresh therapists on contraindications that may not fall within their routine area of treatment.
- Covers the full range of interventions in detail, including the purpose of the intervention, mechanism, contraindications and precautions, rationale, and references.
- Helps ensure that practitioners do no harm, providing safer client care and addressing clients with pre-existing conditions.
- Uses terminology from The Guide to Physical Therapist Practice, reinforcing the use of up-to-date language.
- Presents quality information from a highly renowned author, with evidence-based information throughout.
Part I: Overview
Part II: Tests & Measures
Chapter 1: Blood Pressure Assessment
Chapter 2: Electrodiagnostic Testing
Chapter 3: Exercise Testing
Chapter 4: Screening For Falls In Older Persons
Chapter 5 Mobility Testing
Chapter 6 Pain Assessment
Chapter 7 Strength Testing: Isokinetic Testing & Evaluation (Class Ii Devices)
Part III: Interventions
Chapter 8 Coordination: Communication And Documentation
Chapter 9 Patient Instructions
Chapter 10 Infection Control
Section A Therapeutic Exercise
Chapter 11 Aerobic
Chapter 12 Balance And Coordination
Chapter 13 Flexibility Exercises
Chapter 14 Gait And Locomotion Training
Chapter 15 Relaxation Techniques (Progressive Muscle Relaxation)
Chapter 16 Strength, Power, And Endurance Training
Section B Functional Training: Self-Care
Chapter 17 Activities Of Daily Living (Basic)
Chapter 18 Public Accessibility
Section C Functional Training: Work/Community/Leisure
Chapter 19 Sport Activities
Chapter 20 Older Drivers With Acute Or Chronic Medical Conditions (Includes Noncommercial Motor Vehicles, Excludes Commercial Drivers)
Section D: Manual Therapy Techniques
Chapter 21: Manual Lymphatic Drainage
Chapter 22: Connective Tissue Massage (Bindegewebsmassage)
Chapter 23: Therapeutic Massage (Includes Western Techniques, Swedish, Classic; Excludes Eastern Technique, Shiatsu)
Chapter 24: Myofascial Release
Chapter 25: Joint Mobilization (Articulation, Nonthrust Technique; Nonimpulse Technique)
Chapter 26: Spinal Manipulation
Chapter 27: Muscle Energy Technique
Section E: Prescription, Application, Fabrication Of Devices And Equipment
Chapter 28: Adaptive Devices
Chapter 29: Assistive Devices
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2006
- 9th May 2006
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN: