Now in full color, Contemporary Orthodontics, 5th Edition is a practical resource with a long tradition of excellence. Line drawings and more than 1,000 new color images illustrate concepts more clearly than ever. This book includes detailed information on diagnosis, treatment planning concepts, related problems or controversies, and current treatment procedures, including the role of orthodontics in comprehensive treatment of patients with multiple problems.
- Updated material on psychosocial problems in orthodontic treatment, oral function, and the relationship between injury and dental disease.
- Case studies throughout the text highlight the demand for orthodontic treatment, the etiology of orthodontic problems, and treatment planning for cleft lip and palate patients.
SECTION I: THE ORTHODONTIC PROBLEM
1. Malocclusion and Dentofacial Deformity in Contemporary Society
SECTION II: THE DEVELOPMENT OF ORTHODONTIC PROBLEMS
2. Concepts of Growth and Development
3. Early Stages of Development
4. Later Stages of Development
5. The Etiology of Orthodontic Problems
SECTION III: DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT PLANNING
6. Orthodontic Diagnosis: The Problem-Oriented Approach
7. Orthodontic Treatment Planning: From Problem List to Specific Plan
SECTION IV: BIOMECHANICS, MECHANICS AND CONTEMPORARY ORTHODONTIC APPLIANCES
8. The Biologic Basis of Orthodontic Therapy
9. Mechanical Principles in Orthodontic Force Control
10. Contemporary Orthodontic Appliances
SECTION V: TREATMENT IN PREADOLESCENT CHILDREN: WHAT IS DIFFERENT?
11. Moderate Nonskeletal Problems in Preadolescent Children: Preventive and Interceptive Treatment in Family Practice
12. Complex Nonskeletal Problems in Preadolescent Children: Preventive and Interceptive Treatment
13. Treatment of Skeletal Problems in Children and Preadolescents
14. Comprehensive Orthodontic Treatment in the Early Permanent Dentition
15. The Second Stage of Comprehensive Treatment: Correction of Molar Relationship and Space Closure
16. The Third Stage of Comprehensive Treatment: Finishing
18. Treatment for Adults
19. Combined Surgical and Orthodontic Treatment
- © Mosby 2013
- 10th April 2012
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
Department of Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
Professor, Orthodontics, Dean, College of Dentistry, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
"Contemporary Orthodontics, 5th edition, is a practical resource with a long tradition of excellence. This edition has been extensively revised to maintain the original goal of the book: to provide an up-to-date overview of orthodonitics that is accessible to both undergraduate and postgraduate students and a valuable reference for practitioners...The key elements fundamental in acquiring contemporary orthodontic skills are summarised in a coherent fashion. This text deserves to become the vade mecum for the aspiring orthodonist or clinican."
British Dental Journal, September 2012
"As has become customary for all of the previous editions, this book represents a valuable teaching resource for all students interested in orthodontics. The previous editions have needed no real introduction, and this edition also adds to the reputation of the authors...A major step forward is the availability of the book and images on the internet...Any student of orthodontics wishing for self-improvement should acquire the latest text. The reader will not be disappointed."
European Journal of Orthodontics, January 2013
"In the latest edition, there are over 200 new illustrations, which include colour photographs, radiographs and colour line drawings and tables. There is also updated material on psychosocial problems in orthodontic treatment, oral function and the relationship between injury and dental disease. Throughout the text there are many illustrated case studies and each chapter is supported by literature references."
British Dental Association News, March 2013