One of the most respected dental surgery books in the world, Contemporary Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 7th Edition helps you develop skills in evaluation, diagnosis, and patient management. This comprehensive text on oral surgery procedures features full-color photographs and drawings that show how to perform basic surgical techniques, including an overview of more advanced surgical procedures and the latest developments in dental implants, instrumentation, and current technology. A detailed patient evaluation section includes guidelines on when to refer patients to specialists and how to provide supportive postoperative care. New to this edition is a chapter focusing on anesthesia in greater depth than any of the previous editions. Written by well-known OMS educators James R. Hupp, and Edward Ellis III, and Myron R. Tucker, this book is a valuable reference for dentistry and dental hygiene students alike!
- UPDATED! Chapter, Contemporary Implant Dentistry, includes new and updated implant surgical techniques and virtual planning.
- UPDATED! Chapter, Treatment of Complex Implant Cases, features new and updated cases requiring more complex treatment, including bone augmentation surgery in combination with implants.
- UPDATED! Coverage of Management of Sinus Disease updated outline of the fundamental principles for evaluation and treatment of the patient with sinus disease, including endoscopic therapy.
- UPDATED! Coverage of Management of Medication-related Osteonecrosis of the Jaw outlines the fundamental principles for evaluation and treatment of the patient.
- UPDATED! Facial Cosmetic Surgery chapter is organized by nonsurgical and surgical procedures, covering popular procedures such as dermal fillers, botox, facial resurfacing, browlift and forehead procedures, blepharoplasty, rhinoplasty, and rhytidectomy.
- UPDATED! Content on implants, new instruments, and the latest technology help you treat your patients more effectively.
- Basic techniques of evaluation, diagnosis, and medical management described in enough detail to facilitate immediate clinical application.
- Excellent instrumentation chapter covers a wide variety of instruments and tray set-ups that OMS surgeons use.
- Complex Exodontia chapter describes techniques for surgical tooth extraction, including the principles of flap design, development, management, and suturing, as well as open extraction of single- and multi-rooted teeth, multiple extractions, and concomitant alveoloplasty.
- Hundreds of detailed, close-up photographs of intraoperative sites clarify textual descriptions
- Coverage of complex OMS procedures give you a basic understanding of what you will face later in advanced OMS cases.
Part I Principles of Surgery
1 Preoperative Health Status Evaluation
2 Prevention and Management of Medical Emergencies
3 Principles of Surgery
4 Wound Repair
5 Infection Control in Surgical Practice
6 Pain and Anxiety Control in Surgical Practice
Part II Principles of Exodontia
7 Instrumentation for Basic Oral Surgery
8 Principles of Routine Exodontia
9 Principles of More Complex Exodontia
10 Principles of Management of Impacted Teeth
11 Postextraction Patient Management
12 Medicolegal Considerations
Part III Preprosthetic and Implant Surgery
13 Preprosthetic Surgery
14 Implant Treatment: Basic Concepts and Techniques
15 Implant Treatment: Advanced Concepts and Complex Cases
Part IV Infections
16 Principles of Management and Prevention of Odontogenic Infections
17 Complex Odontogenic Infections
18 Principles of Endodontic Surgery
19 Management of the Patient Undergoing Radiotherapy or Chemotherapy
20 Odontogenic Diseases of the Maxillary Sinus
21 Diagnosis and Management of Salivary Gland Disorders
Part V Management of Oral Pathologic Lesions
22 Principles of Differential Diagnosis and Biopsy
23 Surgical Management of Oral Pathologic Lesions
Part VI Oral and Maxillofacial Trauma
24 Soft Tissue and Dentoalveolar Injuries
25 Management of Facial Fractures
Part VII Dentofacial Deformities
26 Correction of Dentofacial Deformities
27 Facial Cosmetic Surgery
28 Management of Patients With Orofacial Clefts
29 Surgical Reconstruction of Defects of the Jaws
Part VIII Temporomandibular and Other Facial Pain Disorders
30 Facial Neuropathology
31 Management of Temporomandibular Disorders
Appendix 1 Operative Note (Office Record) Component Parts
Appendix 2 Drug Enforcement Administration Schedule of Drugs and Examples
Appendix 3 Examples of Useful Prescriptions
Appendix 4 Consent for Extractions and Anesthesia
Appendix 5 Antibiotic Overview
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2020
- 29th November 2018
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Founding Dean and Professor of Oral-Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dental Medicine, Professor of Surgery, School of Medicine, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina.
Adjunct Clinical Professor, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Louisiana State University, New Orleans, LA
Professor and Chair, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX