Preface. List of Contributors.
Section I. Introductory.
- Introduction (F. Andersson, P. Lhoir). Conifers. This volume. Evolution and origin of conifers. Present distribution of northern and southern conifers. Notes on distribution of present families. Synopsis of the volume. References. Appendix. Geographic and altitudinal distribution of some conifers.Section II. Structure, dynamics, disturbances and utilisation of conifer forests.
- Boreal forests of Eurasia (H. Hytteborn et al.). Definitions, distribution and limiting factors. Regional variation. Nordic approach to classification. Dark-coniferous forests. Light-coniferous forest. Small-leaved deciduous trees. Broad-leaved trees and the boreo-nemoral regions. The role of disturbances in the dynamics of Eurasian boreal forests. References.
- Boreal forests of North America (M.G. Weber, K. Van Cleve). Distribution of the North American boreal forests. Boreal forests tree species and their environment. Successional patterns in relation to natural disturbance. Regional and global significance. Conclusions. References.
- European non-boreal conifer forests (J. Timbal et al.). Introduction. Chorology and ecology of native conifer forests. Artificial conifer forests. Animal communities - birds and mammals. Natural and anthropogenic disturbances. Silviculture, management and utilisation. Outlook. References.
- Coniferous forests in the temperate zone of Asia (Y. Na
This volume Coniferous Forests is the last in the series Ecosystem of the World.
Conifers and coniferous forests are an important element around us and attract our interest. This volume starts with an account of the history and distribution of the conifers. In six chapters the most important areas in Asia, Europe, North and South America with conifers forest are described covering boreal, temperate, tropical as well as mountainous regions. The descriptions are made out from a biome and an ecosystem perspective. Also detailed accounts on tree species other vegetation is also briefly described. Climatic and soil conditions are dealt with as well as disturbances. Interesting notes on vegetation classification is also to be found, among others from Russia.
The functional aspects of the conifer forests in terms of physiology, production, biomass, water and elemental cycling are dealt with in four chapters. Applied aspects as their economic value, management and importance for tourism are also presented.
forest scientists, geographers, geologists
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier Science 2005
- 2nd December 2005
- Elsevier Science
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
Department of Ecology and Environmental Research, Swedisch Unviersity of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden