List of contributors.
Cellular Organization and Synaptic Circuitry.
1. Cellular organization of the vertebrate retina (H. Kolb, R. Nelson, P. Ahnelt, N. Cuenca).
2. Comparative anatomy of major retinal pathways in the eyes of nocturnal and diurnal mammals (K. Linberg, N. Cuenca, P. Ahnelt, S. Fisher, H. Kolb).
3. Synaptic organisation in the fly's optic lamina: few cells, many synapses and divergent microcircuits (I.A. Meinertzhagen, K.E. Sorra).
4. Complexities of retinal circuitry revealed by neurotransmitter receptor localization (C.L. Zucker, B. Ehinger).
5. Synaptic inputs to dopaminergic neurons in mammalian retinas (D.W. Marshak).
6. Molecular diversity of gap junctions between horizontal cells (U. Janssen-Bienhold, K. Schultz, W. Hoppenstedt, R. Weiler).
7. Real time imaging of the production and movement of nitric oxide in the retina (W.E. Eldred).
8. Integration and segregation of visual signals by bipolar cells in the tiger salamander retina (S.M. Wu, F. Gao, B.R. Maple).
9. Transmission at the photoreceptor synapse (P. Witkovsky, W. Thoreson, D. Tranchina).
10. Organization of on- and off- pathways in the zebrafish retina: neurotransmitter localization, electrophysiological responses of bipolar cells, and patterns of axon terminal stratification (V.P. Connaughton).
11. Retinal information processing and ambient illumination (R.L. Chappell).
12. Plasticity of AII amacrine cell circuitry in the mammalian retina (S.A. Bloomfield).
13. Neuromodulation of voltage-dependent K+ channels in bipolar cells: immunocytochemical and electrophysiological studies (S. Yazulla, K.M. Studholme, S.-F. Fan, C. Mora-Ferrer).
14. Synaptic mechanisms