Immerse yourself in the topic of communication in the workplace with an interesting conversation about the communication demands of today’s nursing practice! Communication in Nursing, 8th Edition adopts a uniquely practical and personal approach, providing extensive examples, exercises, and techniques that help you understand important concepts and apply communication skills in a variety of clinical settings. With its conversational tone, this relatable text takes you beyond theory to show you how to use communication as a tool to limit stress in your nursing practice. A new Active Learning feature that promotes goal-directed reading, and additional QSEN exercises highlight the importance of assertive communication in promoting quality, safe care for clients — all in an easy-to-read magazine layout.
QSEN preface and exercises stress how communication impacts safety and quality of care.
- Moments of Connection boxes highlight beneficial outcomes of successful communication and provide concrete examples of how communication techniques work.
- "Reflections on..." boxes provide thoughtful summary exercises at the end of each chapter that give you a specific task to help you integrate chapter material into the broader scope of nursing practice.
- Wit & Wisdom boxes present selected verses and quotations relevant to chapter topics, adding interest and humor. These boxes keep your attention by providing moments of relief from serious topics and "a-ha" moments when theory becomes linked to practice.
- Exercises throughout each chapter help you master chapter techniques and strengthen your communication skills.
Part 1: Packing Your Bags for the Journey of Caring, Assertive, Responsible Communication
1. Responsible, Assertive, Caring Communication in Nursing
2. The Client-Nurse Relationship: A Helping Relationship
3. Solving Problems Together
4. Understanding Each Other: Communication and Culture
Part Two: Honoring Your Fellow Travelers Along the Journey
5. Demonstrating Warmth
6. Showing Respect
7. Being Genuine
8. Being Empathetic
9. Using Self-Disclosure
10. Being Specificity
11. Asking Questions
12. Expressing Opinions
13. Using Humor
14. Embracing the Spiritual Journey Of Health Caring…Meaning Making
Part Three: Developing Road-Worthy Practices Along the Journey
15. Requesting Support
16. Overcoming Evaluation Anxiety
17. Working With Feedback
18. Using Relaxation Techniques
19. Incorporating Imagery in Professional Practice and Self-Care
20. Incorporating Positive Self-Talk
21. Learning to Work Together in Groups
22. Navigating the Changing World of Electronic Communication
Part Four: Embracing the Transformative Process of the Journey
23. Learning Confrontation Skills
24. Refusing Unreasonable Requests
25. Communicating Assertively and Responsibly With Distressed Clients and Colleagues
26. Communicating Assertively and Responsibly With Aggressive Clients and Colleagues
27. Communicating Assertively and Responsibly With Unpopular Clients
28. Managing Team Conflict Assertively and Responsibly
29. Communicating at the End of Life
30. Continuing the Commitment to the Journey
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2017
- 29th January 2016
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
President, Constant Source Seminars, Ellenton, FL