Collected Papers of P. L. Kapitza brings together the collected papers of Soviet physicist P. L. Kapitza in areas such as the viscosity of liquid helium below the λ-point; the Zeeman and Paschen-Back effects in strong magnetic fields; the influence of friction forces on the stability of high-speed rotors; heat transfer in helium II; and the formation of sea waves by the wind. Kapitza's other papers explore heat transfer in a two-dimensional turbulent flow; dynamical stability of a pendulum when its point of suspension vibrates; and the hydrodynamic theory of lubrication in the presence of rolling. This volume is comprised of 25 chapters and begins with an analysis of Kapitza's research on the viscosity of liquid helium below the λ-point, followed by his studies on the Zeeman and Paschen-Back effects in strong magnetic fields; liquefaction of air at low pressures; heat transfer and superfluidity in helium II; and the flow of thin viscous fluid layers under the action of a constant volume force, taking into account the surface tension. A pendulum with a vibrating suspension is also described, along with heat conductivity and diffusion in liquid medium under periodic flow conditions; the nature of ball-lightning; and symmetric electric oscillations of a perfectly conducting hollow cylinder of finite length. This book will be helpful to physicists and physics students.
34. Viscosity of Liquid Helium Below the λ-Point (DAN 18, 21, 1938; C. R. Acad. Sci. USSR 18, 21, 1938; Nature 141, 74, 1938)
35. The Zeeman and Paschen-Back Effects in Strong Magnetic Fields (Proc. Roy. Soc. A 167, 1, 1938; ZETF† 8, 276, 1938; with P. G. Strelkov and E. Laurman)
36. Expansion Turbine Producing Low Temperatures Applied to Air Liquefaction (J. Phys. USSR 1, 7, 1939; ZTF‡ 9, 99, 1939)
37. Influence of Friction Forces on the Stability of High-Speed Rotors (J. Phys. USSR 1, 29, 1939; ZTF 9, 124, 1939)
38. The Study of Heat Transfer in Helium II (J. Phys. USSR 4, 181, 1941; ZETF 11, 1, 1941)
39. Heat Transfer and Superfluidity of Helium II (J. Phys. USSR 5, 59, 1941 ; ZETF 11, 581, 1941)
40. On the Superfluidity of Liquid Helium II (UFN 26, 133, 1944)
41. On Professor S. Ya. Gersh's Paper "Low and High Pressures in Deep-Cooling Systems" (Bull. Mech. Engin. 7/8, 43, 1944)
42. Theoretical and Empirical Expressions for the Heat Transfer in a Two-Dimensional Turbulent Flow (DAN 55, 595, 1947)
43. Wave Flow of Thin Layers of a Viscous Fluid (I and II: ZETF 18, 3, 19, 1948; III (with S. P. Kapitza): ZETF 19, 105, 1949)
44. On the Problem of the Formation of Sea Waves by the Wind (DAN 64, 513, 1949)
45. Dynamical Stability of Pendulum when its Point of Suspension Vibrates (ZETF 21, 588, 1951)
46. Pendulum with a Vibrating Suspensions (UFN 44, 7, 1951)
47. Evaluation of the Sum of Negative Even Powers of Roots of Bessel Functions (DAN 77, 561, 1951)
48. Heat Conductivity and Diffusion in a Liquid Medium Under Periodic Flow Conditions (ZETF 21, 964, 1951)
49. The Hydrodynamic Theory of Lubrication in the Presence of Rolling (ZTF 25, 747, 1955)
50. On the Nature of Ball-Lightning (DAN 101, 245, 1955)
51. Design of a Helium-Liquefying Cycle with Expansion Engines Connected in Cascade (ZTF 29, 427, 1959; Soviet Phys.-Techn. Phys. 4, 377, 1959)
52. Static Boundary Problem for a Hollow Cylinder of Finite Length (ZTF 29, 1177, 1959; Soviet Phys.-Techn. Phys. 4, 1077, 1960; with V. A. Fok and L. A. Vainshtein)
53. Symmetric Electric Oscillations of a Perfectly Conducting Hollow Cylinder of Finite Length (ZTF 29, 1188, 1959; Soviet Phys.-Techn. Phys. 4,1088,1960; with V. A. Fok and L. A. Vainshtein)
54. Expansion Engine for Liquefaction of Helium (ZTF 31, 486, 1961; Soviet Phys.-Techn. Phys. 6, 349, 1961 ; with I. B. Danilov)
55. Cascade Compression Helium Liquefier with No External Refrigeration (ZTF 32, 457, 1962; Soviet Phys.-Techn. Phys. 7, 333, 1962; with I . B. Danilov)
56. High Power Electronics (from: Highpower Microwave Electronics, Vol. I , Izd. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1962, p. 9; Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1964, p. 3 ; UFN 78, 181, 1962; Soviet Phys.-Uspekhi 5, 777, 1963)
57. Characteristic Oscillations of Gridded Cavity Resonators (from: Highpower Microwave Electronics, Vol. I, Izd. Akad. Nauk, 1962, p. 159; Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1964, p. 117)
58. The Theory of Electronic Processes in a Continuous High-Power Generator of the Magnetron Type (from: Highpower Microwave Electronics, Vol. Ill, Izd. Akad. Nauk, 1964, p. 7; Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1965, p. 3; with S. I. Filimonov and S. P . Kapitza)
DAN = Doklady Akademii Nauk USSR.
† ZETF = Zhurnal Eksperimental’noi i Teoreticheskoi Fiziki.
‡ ZTF = Zhurnal Tekhnicheskoi Fiziki.
- No. of pages:
- © Pergamon 1965
- 1st January 1965
- eBook ISBN: