Only a fraction of sports medicine injuries require surgery, but most sports references emphasize surgical management over medical management and rehabilitation. This is only comprehensive Sports Medicine resource to focus on the medical management and rehabilitation of patients. Written by some of the most prominent names in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, this volume fills a void by providing you with a top-notch sports medicine reference aimed at non-surgeons. The international contributors to this book present you with global "best practices" from world leaders in the field.
- Includes a FREE CD-ROM packed with essential forms, images downloadable to PowerPoint, and easily printed patient education guidelines including, general fluid intake for before, during and after exercise, general nutrition recommendations for endurance events, pre-marathon training schedule for athletes, and more.
- Covers practical issues in primary care to give you information you need all of the time.
- Demonstrates the mechanism of injury and its treatment with exquisite illustrations.
- Contains boxes and tables to give you immediate access to key information.
- Incorporates coverage of adolescent sports medicine from Dr Lyle S. Micheli, the world's leading expert on this topic.
- Contains chapters addressing hot topics such as, The role of diet and nutritional supplements, Aquatic rehabilitation, Return to training and competition, and more.
Section I - General Concepts
Sports Medicine: a Definition
Principles of Exercise Physiology and Conditioning
Environmental Factors and Sports Performance
The Role of Diet and Nutritional Supplements
Special Considerations in the Pediatric and Adolescent Athlete
Special Considerations in the Female Athlete
Special Considerations in the Older Athlete
Special Considerations in the Disabled Athlete
Performance Enhancing Drugs
Traveling with Sports Teams
General Medical Problems of the Athlete
Section II – Principles of Injury Care and Rehabilitation
Epidemiology of Athletic Injuries
Field Evaluation of the Injured Athlete
Laboratory Tests and Diagnostic Imaging
Prescribing Medications for Pain and Inflammation
Rehabilitation of the Athlete
Physical Medicine and Modalities
Orthotics for Injury Prevention and Rehabilitation
Injections and Other Therapeutic Procedures
Complimentary and Alternative Medicine in the Athlete
Return to Training and Competition
Section III – Specific Injuries by Anatomical Location
Shoulder and Arm
Wrist and Hand
Mid and Low Back
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2007
- 25th September 2006
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
Dr. Frontera is the recipient of the 2017 Rusk Award for Leadership and Innovation in PM&R
Chair of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, School of Medicine, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
Director Division of Sports Medicine, Associate in Surgery, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Children's Hospital; Associate Clinical Professor, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
Clinical Professor, Departments of Rehabilitation Medicine, Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, and Neurological Surgery, Haborview Medical Center; Director of Sports, Spine and Orthopaedic Health, University of Washington Medicine; Co-medical Director, Seattle Sports Concussion Program, Seattle, Washington
Associate Professor, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Harvard Medical School, Cambridge, Massachusetts