Learn the procedures and skills you need to succeed as a medical assistant! Clinical Procedures for Medical Assistants, 9th Edition provides clear, step-by-step instructions for common office procedures such as taking vital signs, collecting and processing lab specimens, preparing patients for examinations, and assisting with office surgeries. Written by expert educator Kathy Bonewit-West, this full-color edition covers the latest competencies and topics in today's medical assisting practice including emergency preparedness and the updated fecal occult blood testing procedure. The Evolve companion website includes videos of 84 procedures described in the book, preparing you to become a competent clinical medical assistant.
- Over 120 procedures are presented in a clear, illustrated, step-by-step format, with online videos showing 84 of the procedures in action.
- Chapter outlines and learning objectives prepare you for the skills and concepts you will be learning.
- What Would You Do? What Would You Not Do? case studies challenge you to apply your knowledge to realistic medical office situations — with a practitioner's response at the end of chapters.
- Putting It All Into Practice and Memories from Practicum boxes feature real medical assistants sharing personal, on-the-job experiences.
- Key Terms and Terminology Review help you master medical assisting terminology.
- Charting examples help you understand the process for charting your own procedures.
- Patient Teaching boxes prepare you for effective communication, with detailed instructions on how to answer questions and how to explain medical concepts and procedures.
- Student resources on the Evolve companion website offer a fun way to practice your medical assisting knowledge with animations, games such as Quiz Show and Road to Recovery, drag-and-drop exercises, Apply Your Knowledge exercises, matching exercises, and other interactive activities (blood pressure readings, determining height and weight, drawing up medication), as well as all video procedures and practicum activities.
- The Medical Record
2. Medical Asepsis and the OSHA Standard
3. Sterilization and Disinfection
4. Vital Signs
5. The Physical Examination,
6. Eye and Ear Assessment and Procedures
7. Physical Agents to Promote Tissue Healing
8. The Gynecologic Examination and Prenatal Care
9. The Pediatric Examination
10. Minor Office Surgery
11. Administration of Medication and Intravenous Therapy
12. Cardiopulmonary Procedures
13. Colon Procedures and Male Reproductive Health
14. Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging
15. Introduction to the Clinical Laboratory
19. Blood Chemistry and Immunology
20. Medical Microbiology
21. Emergency Preparedness and Assisting with Medical Emergencies
Appendix A: Medical Abbreviations
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2015
- 14th February 2014
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Coordinator and Instructor, Medical Assistant Technology, Hocking College, Nelsonville, OH, Former member, Curriculum Review Board of the American Association of Medical Assistants