Learn the foundational concepts and skills necessary to become a successful clinical medical assistant! Written using clear and accessible language, Clinical Procedures for Medical Assistants, 10th Edition guides you through common office procedures such as taking vital signs, collecting and processing lab specimens, preparing patients for examinations, and assisting with office surgeries. This new edition is thoroughly updated throughout and includes content on elephant system for ear irrigation, influenza test, h. pylori test, digital scale for measuring weight, administration of rotavirus vaccine, along with new chapters on nutrition, emergency preparedness, and the medical record. Plus, with the addition of soft skills, and critical thinking exercises, this comprehensive text introduces you the skills you need to succeed in today’s fast-paced medical office.
- UPDATED procedural photos provides you with the most current pictures of how to perform important clinical medical assisting procedures.
- Detailed learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter align with respective procedures to help guide you through the learning process (and ensure that you learned everything you should from the chapter).
- Over 120 procedures presented in a clear, illustrated, step-by-step format, with online videos showing 84 of the procedures in action.
- Student resources on the Evolve companion website offer a fun way for you to practice your medical assisting knowledge with animations, games matching exercises, and other interactive activities.
- Chapter outlines and learning objectives prepare you for the skills and concepts you will be learning.
- Charting examples help you understand the process for charting your own procedures.
- Patient Teaching boxes prepares you for effective communication, with detailed instructions on how to answer questions and how to explain medical concepts and procedures.
- What Would You Do? What Would You Not Do? case studies challenge you to apply yourr knowledge to realistic medical office situations — with a practitioner's response at the end of chapters.
- Putting It All Into Practice and Memories from Practicum boxes feature real medical assistants sharing personal, on-the-job experiences.
- Glossary of key terms gives you a quick reference guide for important terms and concepts.
1: The Medical Record
2: Medical Asepsis and the OSHA Standard
3: Sterilization and Disinfection
4: Vital Signs
5: The Physical Examination,
6: Eye and Ear Assessment and Procedures
7: Physical Agents to Promote Tissue Healing
8: The Gynecologic Examination and Prenatal Care
9: The Pediatric Examination
10: Minor Office Surgery
11: Administration of Medication and Intravenous Therapy
12: Cardiopulmonary Procedures
13: Colon Procedures and Male Reproductive Health
14: Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging
15: Introduction to the Clinical Laboratory
19: Blood Chemistry and Immunology
20: Medical Microbiology
21: Nutrition - NEW
22: Emergency Preparedness - NEW
23: Emergency Medical Procedures and First Aid
A Medical Abbreviations
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2018
- 10th October 2017
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Coordinator and Instructor, Medical Assistant Technology, Hocking College, Nelsonville, OH, Former member, Curriculum Review Board of the American Association of Medical Assistants
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.