Learn to assess and treat respiratory care disorders! Now in full color, Clinical Manifestations and Assessment of Respiratory Disease, 6th Edition bridges normal physiology and pathophysiology to provide a solid foundation in recognizing and assessing conditions. Authors Terry Des Jardins and George G. Burton describe how to systematically gather clinical data, formulate an assessment, make an objective evaluation, identify the desired outcome, and design a safe and effective treatment plan, while documenting each step along the way. Unique coverage of Therapist-Driven Protocols (TDPs) prepares you to implement industry-approved standards of care.
- Unique! Clinical scenarios connect to specific diseases so you can better understand the disease and the treatment modalities used.
- Unique! A focus on assessment and Therapist-Driven Protocols (TDPs) emphasizes industry-approved standards of care, providing you with the knowledge and skills to implement these protocols into patient care.
- Case studies help in applying information to assessment and treatment.
- Overview boxes summarize the clinical manifestations caused by the pathophysiologic mechanisms of each disorder.
- End-of-chapter questions include multiple-choice, short answer, matching, and case studies to test knowledge and understanding, pointing out areas that might require further study.
- A glossary of key terms with definitions is included in the back of the book.
- Appendices offer easy access to information such as calculations, symbols, medications, and measurements, plus answers to selected case studies.
PART I: ASSESSMENT OF RESPIRATORY DISEASE
Section I: Clinical Data Obtained at the Patient’s Bedside
- The Patient Interview
- The Physical Examination and Its Basis in Physiology
- Pulmonary Function Study Assessments
- Arterial Blood Gas Assessments
- Oxygenation Assessments
- Cardiovascular System Assessments
- Radiologic Examination of the Chest
- Other Important Tests and Procedures
- The Therapist-Driven Protocol Program and the Role of the Respiratory Therapist
- Recording Skills: The Basis for Data Collection, Organization, Assessment Skills, and Treatment Plans
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Chronic Bronchitis, and Emphysema
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Lung Abscess
- Fungal Diseases of the Lung
- Pulmonary Edema
- Pulmonary Embolism
- Flail Chest
- Pleural Diseases
Section II: Clinical Data Obtained from Laboratory Tests and Special Procedures
Section III: The Therapist-Driven Protocol Program – The Essentials
PART II: OBSTRUCTIVE AIRWAY DISEASES
PART III: INFECTIOUS PULMONARY DISEASES
PART IV: PULMONARY VASCULAR DISEASES
PART V: CHEST AND PLEURAL TRAUMA
PART VI: DISORDERS OF THE PLEURA AND OF THE CHEST WALL
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2011
- 25th March 2010
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Professor Emeritus, Department of Respiratory Care, Parkland College, Champaign, IL