A highly illustrated textbook of diabetes and endocrinology for medical students and junior doctors.
- An accessible coverage of diabetes and endocrinology in the graphic ICT format, making full use of line diagrams, colour photographs, tables and boxes.
- Comprehensive coverage of all common conditions, as well as the treatable rarer diseases.
- Boxes emphasise important clinical practice points.
- Summaries of crucial clinical trials are provided.
- Role of more specialised investigations, such as dynamic endocrine tests and magnetic resonance imaging are discussed.
The thyroid: basic concepts
Growths: goitres and cancer
The pituitary: basic concepts
Hypopituitarism and diabetes insipidus
Non-functioning pituitary and hypothalamic tumours
Obesity and hypothalamic regulation of weight
Non-endocrine illness and hormones
The adrenal gland
Adrenal and endocrine hypertension: basic concepts
Primary hypoadrenalism: Addison's disease
Adrenocortical adenomas and carcinomas
Congenital adrenal hyperplasia
Adrenal medulla: phaeochromocytoma
Sex and fertility
Sex and fertility: basic concepts
Polycystic ovarian syndrome
Calcium and bone
Calcium and bone: basic concepts
What is diabetes?
Glucose homeostasis and insulin action
Type 1 diabetes mellitus
Type 2 diabetes mellitus
Prevention and screening for diabetes mellitus
Complications of diabetes mellitus
Complications I: basic concepts
Complications II: pathophysiology
Avoiding vascular complications
Examining the patient
Principles of examination
Management of neuropathy and infections
Management of erectile dysfunction
The diabetic foot
Diabetic eye disease
The diabetic kidney
Emergencies in diabetes mellitus
Managing the disease
Principles of management
Pharmacological treatment I
Pharmacological treatment II
Insulin treatment I
Insulin treatment II
Hypoglycaemia resulting from treatment
Sex and pregnancy
Problems in neonates and children
The elderly and ethnic group
- No. of pages:
- © Churchill Livingstone 2006
- 7th December 2005
- Churchill Livingstone
- Paperback ISBN:
Professor of Endocrine Medicine, Consultant Physician, Bart's and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University, London, UK
Professor of Diabetes and Autoimmunity, St Bartholomew's and Royal London School of Medicine, London, UK