Comprehensive and clinically oriented, this new text helps you provide the highest standard of care for patients in the ICU—in one full-color volume. An international cast of experts offers in-depth, authoritative guidance on clinical problems from a multitude of perspectives. Inside, you'll find a user-friendly format with a consistent organization from chapter to chapter for easy reference, and a bonus CD-ROM containing all of the illustrations from the text for use in PowerPoint slide presentations.
- Offers you the insights and benefits of critical care research being performed outside the U.S.
- Combines practical, clinical guidance with the basic science necessary to effectively treat and manage critical care patients.
- Emphasizes the practice of critical care, including general organ system monitoring and support.
- Covers the wide range of diseases, disorders, and trauma encountered in the ICU.
- Discusses everything from biologic response to stress to mechanical ventilation to problems associated with infectious diseases.
- Includes detailed discussions on the hottest topics in the field, including mechanical ventilation assessment for weaning pregnancy-related critical care * and bioterrorism and unusual critical care medicine conditions.
- Uses over 600 full-color illustrations that explain every detail.
- Offers a differential diagnosis table, a management algorithm, a therapeutic implications flowchart, and a controversies box in every clinical disorders chapter.
- Includes a BONUS CD-ROM that lets you download all of the superb full-color illustrations from the book into PowerPoint.
Section 1. Basic Biology and Critical Care Medicine
Inflammation Genetics Biologic Response to Stress Vascular Tone Cell Metabolism and Tissue Hypoxy
Section 2. Practice of Critical Care
ICU Pharmacology, Including Sedation, Paralysis, Analgesis, Delirium Antibiotics in the ICU ID Prophylaxis Prophylactic Therapy ICU Scoring Systems Hemodynamic Monitoring
Modes Tracheostomy Monitoring Patient–ventilation Interaction VALI Assessment for Weaning VA Pneumonia Clinical Assessment of the Acutely Unstable Patient Nursing Issues of the Critically Ill Nutritional Support Withdrawal and Withholding Life Support
Section 3. Pulmonary Problems
Acute Exacerbations of COPD and Asthma (including VCD) Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome, Including Near-Drowning, Vasculitis Pulmonary Embolism Obesity and Chest Wall Problems Neuromuscular Respiratory Failure, Including Botulism, Guillian-Barre, Tick Paralysis, Myasthenis Gravis, Organophosphates
Section 4. Cardiovascular Problems
Pathophysiology of Cardiovascular Failure Cardica Ischemia/Infarction Arrhythmias (brady, tachy, pacing) Hypertensive Emergencies Acute Cardiovascular Emergencies Heart–Lung Interactions
Section 5. Neurologic Problems
Intracranial Pressure and Central Brain Flow Regulation Management of Traumatic Brain Injury, Including Secondary Insult, Traumatic Edema (Glasgow Coma Scale) Management of Subarachnoid Hemmorhage, Including HHH, Vasospasm CNS Infection and Vasculitis Seizure Management of Spinal Injury Brain Death and Management of Donor
Section 6. Renal and Metabolic Problems
Acid Base Disorders Electrolyte Disorders Acute Renal Failure Hepatorenal Syndrome A
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2006
- 4th July 2006
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN: