This study guide companion to Mosby's Dental Hygiene: Concepts, Cases, and Competencies, 2nd Edition draws the student in using a friendly question and answer format that explains "how's," "what's," "where's," and "why's" of the content. The answers to these questions tie into features from the main text including the Insight Statement, Learning Outcomes, Case Studies, and Case Applications. Review Questions and answers as well as Critical Thinking Activity Worksheets encourage students to practice their knowledge and skills after reading the text chapter and to prepare for exams.
- Follows a format consistent with the main text and allows students to become familiar with the pattern and focus on learning the content.
- A conversational question and answer format makes material less intimidating and immediately demonstrates the benefits of working on the exercises.
- Frequent references to main text content such as Insight Statement, Learning Outcomes, and Case Study, help student retain the information better through repetition.
- Critical Thinking Activities help students practice application of concepts to everyday life and reach a better understanding of the dental hygienist's role.
- Topics to Debate feature challenges students to consider the ethics and proper application of dental hygienist skills to real-life situations they are likely to encounter.
- Patient Education Links encourage students to access the Internet or Evolve site for additional sources or agencies for more information on topics related to the text.
- Encourages self-assessment with Process Performance forms that allow students to grade themselves on whether or not they have developed the skills necessary to meet the Learning Outcomes in the chapter.
- Review questions, answers, and rationales at the end of the study guide help students review material and prepare for boards.
- Sample forms and patient education handouts provide sample dialogues and questions to ask patients when interacting in the dental office and help students contribute to successful dental hygienist practices.
Part I. Oral Healthcare
1. The Dental Hygiene Profession
2. Health Promotion: A Basis of Practice
3. Leagal and Ethical Considerations
4. Evidence-Based Decision Making
6. The Body’s Response to Challenge
Part II. Environmental Ergonomics
7. Exposure Control and Prevention of Disease Transmission
8. Positioning and Prevention of Operator Injury
9. Instrument Design and Priniciples of Instrumentation
10. Instrument Sharpening
Part III. Patient Assessment
11. Life Stage Changes
12. Comprehensive Health History
13. Drug-Induced Adverse Oral Events
14. Physical and Extraoral Examination
15. Intraoral Examination
16. Periodontal Examination
17. Hard Tissue Examination
18. Radiographic and Photographic Imaging Assessment
19. Nutritional Assessment
Part IV. Diagnosis and Planning
20. Oral Risk Assessment and Intervention Planning
21. Individualizing Preventive and Therapeutic Strategies
22. Post Treatment Assessment and Supportive Care
23. Case Development, Documentation, and Presentation
Part V. Prevention Implementation
24. Devices for Oral Self Care
25. Dental Caries and Caries Management
29. Tobacco and Chemical Addiction
30. Care of Appliances and Dental Prostheses
Part VI. Therapeutic Implementation
31. Powered Instrumentation and Periodontal Debridement
32. Cosmetic and Therapeutic Polishing
33. Dentinal Sensitivity
34. Periodontal Dressings and Suturing
35. Operative Procedures
39. Emergency Management of Dental Trauma
Part VII. Anxiety and Pain Control
40. Anxiety Control
41. Local Anesthetics
42. Nitrous Oxide/Oxygen Sedation
Part VIII. Care Modifications for Special Needs Patients
43. Salivary Dysfunction
44. Neurological and Sensory Impairment
45. Mental and Emotional Disorders
46. Immune System Dysfunction
48. Cancer and Treatment Effects on the Oral Cavity
Part IX. Professional Development and Vision
49. Dental Hygiene Business and Management
50. Professional Development
51. Insight and Commitment
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2008
- 24th October 2007
- Paperback ISBN: