- This Fourth Edition covers 127 common presenting problems in both medicine and surgery in a consistent format.
- Each topic includes a list of all potential causes of the condition, colour coded to indicate common, occasional or rare causes. Important geographical variations are also highlighted.
- Two sections cover the differential diagnosis of biochemical and haematological disorders which provide a ready check when reviewing abnormal results
- The text includes a targeted guide to the relevant general and specific follow-up investigations which should be carried out as appropriate.
- At the end of each topic a box highlights important learning points, or indicates symptom and signs suggestive of significant pathology which require urgent action.
Anaemia (low plasma haemoglobin)
Blood urea nitrogen
Hypercalcaemia (high calcium level)
Hyperglycaemia (high blood sugar level)
Hyperkalaemia (high potassium level)
Hypernatraemia (high sodium level)
Hypocalcaemia (low calcium level)
Hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar level)
Hypokalaemia (low potassium level)
Hypomagnesaemia (low magnesium level)
Hyponatraemia (low sodium level)
Jaw pain and swellings
Leucocytosis (high white cell count)
Leucopaenia (low white cell count)
Muscle weakness a