Making a correct diagnosis is one of the key aspects of every medical student's and junior doctor's clinical training, and problem-based learning is now widely used to focus on the causes behind the presentation of a clinical feature. The Fourth Edition of this best-selling book is packed full of information to help the reader move from a presenting problem to an accurate diagnosis.
- This Fourth Edition covers 127 common presenting problems in both medicine and surgery in a consistent format.
- Each topic includes a list of all potential causes of the condition, colour coded to indicate common, occasional or rare causes. Important geographical variations are also highlighted.
- Two sections cover the differential diagnosis of biochemical and haematological disorders which provide a ready check when reviewing abnormal results
- The text includes a targeted guide to the relevant general and specific follow-up investigations which should be carried out as appropriate.
- At the end of each topic a box highlights important learning points, or indicates symptom and signs suggestive of significant pathology which require urgent action.
Anaemia (low plasma haemoglobin)
Blood urea nitrogen
Hypercalcaemia (high calcium level)
Hyperglycaemia (high blood sugar level)
Hyperkalaemia (high potassium level)
Hypernatraemia (high sodium level)
Hypocalcaemia (low calcium level)
Hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar level)
Hypokalaemia (low potassium level)
Hypomagnesaemia (low magnesium level)
Hyponatraemia (low sodium level)
Jaw pain and swellings
Leucocytosis (high white cell count)
Leucopaenia (low white cell count)
Muscle weakness and wasting
Polycythaemia (high plasma haemoglobin)
Pyrexia of unknown origin
Thrombocytopenia (low platelet count)
Thrombocytosis (high platelet count)
- No. of pages:
- © Churchill Livingstone 2014
- 2nd May 2014
- Churchill Livingstone
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Clinical Anatomist; Formerly Consultant Surgeon, Sheffield Kidney Institute, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Northern General Hospital, Sheffield; Member (formerly Chairman), Court of Examiners, Royal College of Surgeons of England; Formerly Member of Panel of Examiners, Intercollegiate Specialty Board in General Surgery; Formerly Member of Council, Royal College of Surgeons of England; Formerly Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer in Surgery, University of Sheffield, UK
Consultant Thoracic Surgeon, Royal Brompton Hospital, London; Senior Lecturer, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College, London, UK
Consultant Rheumatologist and Associate Lecturer, Addenbrooke’s Hospital; Director, Rheumatology Clinical Research Unit, School of Clinical Medicine, Addenbrooke’s Hospital, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.