No other book offers a complete guide to chiropractic adjustive techniques! Chiropractic Technique, 3rd Edition makes it easy to understand essential procedures and provides a rationale for their use. Written by Thomas F. Bergmann, DC, FICC, and David H. Peterson, DC, and backed by the latest research studies, this bestseller describes the basic principles needed to evaluate, select, and apply specific adjustive procedures. With a review of chiropractic history, detailed descriptions of joint examination and adjustive techniques for the spine, pelvis, and extremities, and a companion Evolve website with how-to videos, this book is a must-have reference for students and clinicians.
- Offers over 700 photos and line drawings depicting the correct way to set up and perform adjustive procedures, clarifying concepts, and showing important spinal and muscle anatomy.
- Includes up-to-date research studies and methods for validating manual therapy.
- Discusses mechanical principles so you can determine not only which adjustive procedure to use and when, but also why you should choose one approach over another.
- Organizes content thematically with a discussion of practical anatomy, kinematics, evaluation, and technique for each joint.
- Covers anatomy and biomechanics in detail, along with adjustive techniques for the spine, extraspinal techniques, and additional techniques for special populations, helping you fully prepare for board examinations.
- Covers the manipulable lesion as a basis for treating disorders with manual therapy, including chiropractic techniques.
- Includes content on low-force techniques to help you treat elderly patients and patients who are in acute pain.
- Includes useful appendices with clinical information as well as interesting historical information, including a feature on practitioners who developed specific techniques.
Chapter 1: General Overview of the Chiropractic Profession
Chapter 2: Joint Anatomy and Basic Biomechanics
Fundamental Concepts, Principles, and Terms
Mechanical Forces Acting on Connective Tissue
Properties of Connective Tissue
Models of Spine Function
Chapter 3: Joint Assessment Principles and Procedures
The Manipulable Lesion
Vertebral Subluxation Complex
Joint Subluxation/Dysfunction Syndrome
Clinical Evaluation of Joint Subluxation/Dysfunction Syndrome
Chapter 4: Principles of Adjustive Technique
Classification and Definition of Manual Therapies
Joint Manipulative Procedures
Soft Tissue Manipulative Procedures
Indications for Adjustive Therapy
Mechanical Spine Pain
Joint Subluxation/Dysfunction Syndromes
Contraindications to and Complications of Adjustive Therapy
Effects of Adjustive Therapy
Application of Adjustive Therapy
Chapter 5: The Spine: Anatomy, Biomechanics, Assessment and Adjustive Techniques
Structure and Function of the Spine
Evaluation of Spinal Joint Function
Adjustments of the Cervical Spine
Adjustments of the Thoracic Spine and Rib Cage
Adjustments of the Lumbar Spine
Adjustments of the Pelvis
Chapter 6: Extraspinal Techniques
Role of the Peripheral Joints
Wrist and Hand
Ankle and Foot
Chapter 7: Nonthrust Procedures: Mobilization, Traction, and Soft Tissue Techniques
Soft Tissue Manipulation
1: Named Chiropractic Techniques
2: Reliability Studies
3: Citation Synopsis
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2011
- 28th May 2010
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
Editor-in-Chief, Chiropractic Technique, Mendota Heights, MN
Chiropractic Science Center, Western States Chiropractic College, Portland, OR
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.