Get a quick, expert overview of the increasingly important topic of technology and social media and its impact on children and adolescents. This practical resource presents a focused summary of today’s current knowledge on topics of interest to psychiatrists, pediatricians, and other health professionals working with children and adolescents. It provides current, relevant information on a wide variety of media-related topics as they relate to child and adolescent health and mental illness, making it a one-stop resource for staying up to date in this critical area.
- Discusses the effects of violent media; the impact of reality TV on female body image; bullying, sexting, and other negative impact of new apps; sex in the media; media outreach for child psychiatrists; the use of telepsychiatry; the role of media in the destigmatizing of mental illness; media literacy for parents; and media portrayal of modern families.
- Includes coverage of dystopian movies and YA novels; media addiction; the neuroscience of media; the use of media by preschool and young children; the use of media regarding minority populations; and more.
- Consolidates today’s available information on this timely topic into one convenient resource.
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and the Media
1. The Effects of Violent Media on Children
2. The Impact of Reality TV on Female Body Image
3. Use and Misuse of Digital Media: Bullying, Sexting and New Reality Apps
4. Dystopian Movies and YA Novels
5. The Impact of Terrorism on Children and Adolescents: The Role of Media
6. The Use of Online and Digital Media in Therapy
7. Sex in Media and its Impact on Youth
8. Addicted Media: Substances on Screen
9. Media Literacy for Clinicians and Parents
10. The Functional Assessment of Social Media in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
11. The Use of Film, Literature and Music in Becoming Culturally Competent in Understanding African Americans
12. Media Outreach for Child Psychiatrists
13. The Use of Telepsychiatry in Caring for Youth and Families: Overcoming the Shortages in Child and Adolescent Psychiatrists
14. Your Brain on Videogames: The Neuroscience of Media
15. The Role of Media in Destigmatizing Mental Illness in Youth and Families
16. Media as a Means of Promoting Wellbeing in Transitional Age Youth
17. The Use of Media in Becoming Culturally Competent in Understanding Latino Youth; or Reaching Out to the Latino Population to Understand Psychiatric Disorders
18. Media Portayals of Modern Families
19. Use of Digital and Other Media in Preschool and Young Children
20. Use of Digital Media for Self-Expression in Children and Adolescents
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2018
- 28th August 2018
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Executive Director, MGH Clay Center for Young Healthy Minds, Senior Educator, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, McLean Hospital; Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
Principal, Cheryl K. Olson, Sc.D., LLC, San Carlos, California
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.