Clinical case studies make it easy to learn and master perioperative nurse anesthesia! Written in a succinct question-and-answer format, Case Studies in Nurse Anesthesia covers anesthesia management for the most frequently performed surgical procedures. Chapters are organized by surgical specialty, and each case describes the entire perioperative course of care, including the patient’s history, physical assessment, anesthetic considerations, surgical concerns, differential diagnosis, and potential complications. From noted anesthesia educator Sass Elisha, this reference will help you learn how to think like a highly skilled nurse anesthetist!
- Question-and-answer format provides an easy and engaging way to study the many aspects of perioperative anesthesia.
- 55 case studies demonstrate a wide variety of diseases and surgeries, and allow readers to follow the thought process needed for successful nurse anesthesia practice.
- Preoperative, intraoperative, and postoperative perspectives are covered in the case studies and patient scenarios.
- Thorough discussions in each chapter include pathophysiology, pharmacology, surgical intervention, anesthesia case management, and postoperative considerations.
- Key points and preoperative evaluation notes are included at the beginning of each chapter, with review questions at the end.
- Expert author Sass Elisha is also the co-author of the popular text Nagelhout: Nurse Anesthesia.
Unit I: Otolaryngology
2. Radical Neck Dissection
4. Vocal Cord Polyp Removal with Laser
Unit II: General Surgery
6. Exploratory Laparotomy for Bowel Resection
7. Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass
8. Open and Laparoscopic Appendectomy
9. Cholecystectomy: Open and Laparoscopic Approaches
10. Liver Failure and Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis
11. Hepatic Resection
Unit III: Endocrine Surgery
12. Anesthesia Case Management for Excision of a Pheochromocytoma
Unit IV: Trauma Surgery
14. Emergency Airway Management for the Trauma Patient
15. Craniotomy for the Acute Head Injury
16. Penetrating Traumatic Injuries
17. Blunt Thoracic Injuries
Unit V: Thoracic Surgery
20. Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery for the Mediastinal Mass
21. Anesthesia Management for Thymectomy
Unit VI: Organ Procurement
22. Multiorgan Procurement
Unit VII: Vascular Surgery
23. Carotid Endoarterectomy
24. Acute Aortic Dissection and Repair
25. Thoracic Aneurysm Repair
26. Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair
Unit VIII: Cardiac Surgery
27. Minimally Invasive Coronary Artery Bypass Graft
Unit IX: Neurosurgery
28. Intracranial Tumor Debulking
29. Transsphenoidal Hypophysectomy
30. Asleep-Awake Craniotomy
Unit X: Opthalmic Surgery
31. Retinal Surgery
32. Ruptured Globe
Unit XI: Gynecologic Surgery
33. Open and Laparoscopic Approaches for Hysterectomy
34. Dilation and Curettage
Unit XII: Obstetric Surgery
35. Cesarian Section
36. Cervical Cerclage
37. Intraoperative Maternal Hemorrhage Caused by Uterine Repair
38. Labor Epidural
39. Laparoscopy for Adnexal Mass During Pregnancy
Unit XIII: Urologic Surgery
40. Robotic-Assisted Laparoscopic Prostatectomy
41. Transurethral Resection of the Prostate
42. Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy
Unit XIV: Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
43. Breast Reconstructive Surgery
45. Mandibular Osteotomy
Unit XV: Orthopedic Surgery
46. Anterior Cervical Disectomy/Fusion
47. Posterior Spinal Reconstructive Surgery
48. Anesthesia for Shoulder Arthroscopy
49. Hip Arthroplasty
50. Above-the-Knee Amputation
Unit XVI: Pediatric Surgery
51. Bowel Resection for Necrotizing Enterocolitis
52. Infantile Hypertrophic Pyloric Stenosis
53. Tracheoesophageal Fistula Repair
Unit XVII: Out of the Operating Suite Procedures
54. Electroconvulsive Therapy
55. Anesthesia for Office-Based Pediatric Dental Surgery
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2021
- 3rd March 2021
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Assistant Director, Kaiser Permanente School of Anesthesia, Pasadena, California
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.