- Evidence-based practice is demonstrated with case studies, and the latest research supports PT decision-making.
- Real-life clinical cases show the application of concepts to evidence-based practice.
- Holistic approach supports treating the whole person rather than just the symptoms of a disease or disorder, covering medical, physiological, psychological, psychosocial, therapeutic, practical, and methodological aspects.
- Coverage includes both primary and secondary cardiovascular and pulmonary conditions.
- An integrated approach to oxygen transport demonstrates how the cardiovascular and pulmonary systems function together.
- Emphasis on the terminology and guidelines of APTA's Guide to Physical Therapist Practice keeps the book consistent with the standards for practice in physical therapy.
- Key terms and review questions in each chapter focus your learning on important concepts.
- The Evolve companion website includes additional resources such as a case study guide, Archie animations, color images, video clips, WebLinks, and references with links to MEDLINE abstracts.
Part I: Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Function in Health and Disease
1. Epidemiology as a Basis for Informing Contemporary Physical Therapy Practice
2. Oxygen Transport: The Basis of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Physical Therapy
3. Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Anatomy
4. Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Physiology
5. Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Pathophysiology
6. Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Manifestations of Systemic Conditions
Part II: Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Physical Therapy: Cardiopulmonary Assessment
7. Measurement and Documentation
9. Pulmonary Function Tests
10. Arterial Blood Gases
11. Imaging of the Chest
12. Electrocardiogram Identification
13. Multisystem Assessment and Laboratory Investigations
14. Special Tests
15. Clinical Assessment of the Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Systems
16. Monitoring Systems, Catheters, and Devices in the Intensive Care Unit
Part III: Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Physical Therapy: Interventions
17. Maximizing Outcomes: Relating Interventions to an Individual's Needs
18. Mobilization and Exercise: Physiologic Bases for Assessment, Evaluation and Training NEW!
19. Mobilization and Exercise: Testing and Training NEW!
20. Body Positioning
21. Physiological Basis for Airway Clearance Techniques
22. Airway Clearance Interventions
23. Facilitating Ventilation Patterns and Breathing Strategies
24. Exercise Testing and Training: Primary Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Dysfunction
25. Exercise Testing and Training: Secondary Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Dysfunction
26. Respiratory Muscle Training
27. Complementary Therapies as Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Physical Therapy Interventions