Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
1. Introduction to concrete and nanomaterials in concrete applications
2. Noncarbon-based nanomaterials for concrete applications
3. Carbon-based nanomaterials for concrete applications
4. Synthesis of carbon nanotubes and carbon nanofibers and their growth mechanisms
5. Carbon nanotubes and carbon nanofibers in concrete manufacturing processes
6. Effects of carbon nanotubes and carbon nanofibers on concrete properties
7. Shielding capabilities of concretes containing carbon nanotubes and carbon nanofibers
8. Sensing capabilities of concretes containing carbon nanotubes and carbon nanofibers
9. Energy harvesting using concretes containing carbon nanotubes and carbon nanofibers
10. Effects of carbon nanotubes and carbon nanofibers on properties of alkali-activated concretes
11. Potential hazardous effects of carbon nanotubes and carbon nanofibers
12. Conclusion: the role of carbon nanotubes and nanofibers in concrete technology
This book focuses on the application of carbon nanotubes and carbon nanofibers in traditional concretes based on Portland cement. Fundamental information is given related to the production technologies of carbon nanotubes and carbon nanofibers, as well as concretes and methods of incorporation. It also contains a section focusing on the possible negative effects of carbon nanotubes and carbon nanofibers on animals and humans.
The book indicates benefits and possible problems related to the application of carbon nanotubes and carbon nanofibers in concrete. It is designed to be easy to access and digest for the reader, aiming to reach an audience, not only from academia, but also from the construction industry, materials producers, and contractors who might work with nanomaterials.
- Outlines the major properties and synthesis methods for carbon nanomaterials in concrete engineering;
- Explains the role of carbon nanotubes and nanofibers in creating high-performance concrete;
- Assesses the major challenges of integrating carbon nanomaterials into concrete manufacture on an industrial scale.
Materials scientists and engineers.
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2021
- 10th July 2021
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Prof. Andrzej Cwirzen has obtained his Master’s degree in Civil Engineering from the Silesian University of Technology and his PhD in Concrete Technology from the Helsinki University of Technology. As an associate professor, he led the Concrete Technology Research Group at Aalto University. Later, he was appointed as a full professor at the Luleå University of Technology and chair of the Structural Engineering Research Group. Since 2019, he is a chaired professor of the Building Materials Research Group at the same university. In parallel to his academic career, Prof. Cwirzen has been working as a consultant and R&D project manager for construction companies and concrete producers. In his 20 years of work with concrete technology, he has focused on nanotechnology, nanomaterials especially including carbon nanotubes and carbon nanofibers, alternative ecological cementitious binders, high-strength concretes, ultrahigh-performance concretes, durability, and production technology of concrete structures. He is a RILEM senior member, member of several committees at the Transportation Research Board (TRB) in the United States and at the American Nano Society. Prof. Cwirzen holds two patents related to ecological cements. He is an editor and reviewer for several top international journals related to building materials. He has been a visiting professor at several universities in Europe, Canada, and Australia. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Andrzej_Cwirzen/info
Professor and Head of the Building Materials Research Group, Luleå University of Technology, Luleå, Sweden
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.