How well can you answer pet owners' questions about proper diet and feeding? Canine and Feline Nutrition, 3rd Edition describes the role of nutrition and its effects upon health and wellness and the dietary management of various disorders of dogs and cats. By using the book's cutting-edge research and clinical nutrition information, you'll be able to make recommendations of appropriate pet food and proper feeding guidelines. Pet nutrition experts Linda P. Case, MS, Leighann Daristotle, DVM, PhD, Michael G. Hayek, PhD, and Melody Foess Raasch, DVM, provide complete, head-to-tail coverage and a broad scope of knowledge, so you can help dog and cat owners make sound nutrition and feeding choices to promote their pets' health to prolong their lives.
- Tables and boxes provide quick reference to the most important clinical information.
- Key points summarize essential information at a glance.
- A useful Nutritional Myths and Feeding Practices chapter dispels and corrects common food myths.
Section 1: Basics of Nutrition
1. Energy and Water
4. Protein and Amino Acids
7. Digestion and Absorption
Section 2: Nutrient Requirements of Dogs and Cats
8. Nutritional Idiosyncrasies of the Cat
9. Energy Balance
10. Carbohydrate Metabolism
11. Fat Requirements
12. Protein Requirements
13. Vitamin and Mineral Requirements
Section 3: Pet Foods
14. History and Regulation of Pet Foods
15. Pet Food Labels
16. Nutrient Content of Pet Foods
17. Types of Pet Foods
18. Evaluation of Pet Foods
Section 4: Feeding Management Throughout the Life Cycle
19. Feeding Regimens for Dogs and Cats
20. Pregnancy and Lactation
21. Nutritional Care of Neonatal Puppies and Kittens
23. Adult Maintenance
26. Nutritional Myths and Feeding Practices
Section 5: Nutritionally Responsive Disorders
27. Inherited Disorders of Nutrient Metabolism
28. Development and Treatment of Obesity
29. Diabetes Mellitus
30. Dietary Management of Urolithiasis in Cats and Dogs
31. Nutritionally-Responsive Dermatoses
32. Chronic Renal Failure
33. Feline Hepatic Lipidosis
34. Dental Health and Diet
35. Nutritional Management of Gastrointestinal Disease
36. Nutritional Care of Cancer Patients
37. Nutrition and Mobility NEW!
38. Nutrition and the Heart NEW!
Appendix 1: Estimated Metabolizable Energy Requirements for Dogs
Appendix 2: Estimated Metabolizable Energy Requirements of Adult Cats
Appendix 3: Standard Weights for American Kennel Club (AKC) Dog Breeds (lbs)
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2011
- 19th May 2010
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Autumn Gold Consulting, Mahomet, IL; Adjunct Assistant Professor, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL
Manager, Scientific Communications, Procter & Gamble Pet Care, Lewisburg, OH
Associate Director, Research and Development, Procter & Gamble Pet Care, Lewisburg, OH
Manager, Scientific Communications, Procter & Gamble Pet Care, Mason, OH
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.