This new, single-volume reference offers you today's best knowledge on successfully treating cancer pain. It covers everything from the initial evaluation of the patient with cancer pain to the final hours. Chapter after chapter, you'll find a wealth of information on the latest developments in pharmacological therapy · management of side effects and complications · the use of opiods and adjuvants · invasive techniques for the management of cancer pain · and alternative medicine therapies.
- Features a comprehensive, multidisciplinary approach to cancer pain—from top international cancer centers.
- Covers the latest pharmacologic treatments as well as the recent advances in the management of side effects and complications associated with oral pharmacological therapy.
- Provides step-by-step instructions for invasive pain techniques.
- Discusses intraspinal analgesia, resulting in better pain relief and a lower incidence of side effects and complications for patients who have had little success with the use of pharmacological therapy.
- Includes discussions on the benefits as well as side effects of alternative medicine, including acupuncture, herbal therapies, and message therapy.
- Examines the advantages of cancer pain treatment by psychologists, physical therapists, occupational therapists, and nutritionists.
- Presents complete palliative care protocols and recipes for every symptom and major organ system.
I. ON THE FIRST CONTACT
Taxonomy of Cancer Pain
Initial Evaluation of the Patient with Cancer Pain
Cancer Pain Syndromes Due to Tumor Invasion
Cancer Pain Syndromes Due to Therapy
Radiological Evaluation of the Patient with Cancer Pain
II. THE INITIAL THERAPEUTIC APPROACH
Molecular Biology of Opioid Receptors
Pharmacology of Opioid Receptors
NSAIDs and COX-2 Inhibitors
Membrane Stabilizing Agents: Anticonvulsants, Topical and Oral Local Anesthetics
Alpha-2 Adrenergic Agonists
Biphosphonates: New and Old
Prevention and Management of Side Effects—Opioids
Drug Induced Constipation: Prevention and therapy
Prevention and Management of Side Effects—Adjuvants
III. INVASIVE PROCEDURES
Neurolysis of Sympathetic Axis
Intraspinal Therapy: Epidural (permanent) and Intrathecal
Spinal Cord Stimulation
Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty
Chemotherapy for The Palliation of Pain
Radiation Therapy for The Palliation of Pain
IV. PALLIATIVE CARE
Nutrition and Hydration
Gastrointestinal and Abdominal Problems Respiratory Problems
Fever and Infection
The Final Hours
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2006
- 2nd June 2006
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN: