- The latest information including diagnostic procedures, treatment modalities, and outcome predictions to help clients make the best decisions for their pets.
- Expert contributors, renowned for clinical, as well as academic and research expertise, offer a wide breadth and depth of expertise.
- Full-color format provides accurate visual depictions of specific diseases and procedures to enhance your diagnostic capabilities.
- Key Points highlight critical information, enabling quick, easy access.
- Systems approach to diagnosis and management offers logical, systematic, head-to-tail procedure for accurate diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis.
- Extensive discussions of supportive care limit adverse events and increase patient survival and puts emergency information at the practitioner’s fingertips.
- Suggested readings highlight the latest information for further investigation and research.
- Comprehensive drug safety guidelines thoroughly discuss all information required to safely handle and administer cancer drugs.
- Helpful drug formularies offer available formulations, recommended dosages, toxicities, and relative costs.
- Chapter on how to access clinical trials provides helpful information and hope for patients and their caregivers.
Part 1 Cancer Principles and Concepts
1. Pathophysiology and Tumor Cell Growth
2. Genetic Basis of Cancer
3. Veterinary Cancer Etiology
A. Environmental, Chemical, and Physical Carcinogens
B. Viral Carcinogenesis
C. Hormonal Impact on Carcinogenesis
Part 2 Evidence-Based Approaches to Cancer in Companion Animals
4. Cancer Epidemiology and Statistics
5. Clinical Trial Design and Access to Clinical Research Studies
Part 3 Cancer Diagnosis and Staging
6. Methods of Tumor Diagnosis: Fine-Needle Aspiration and Biopsy Techniques
7. The Cytology of Neoplasia
8. Histopathology, Immunohistochemistry, and Tumor Grading
9. Imaging Methods in Cancer Diagnosis
10. Advanced Imaging Modalities
A. Positron Emission Tomography (PET)
B. Computed Tomography (CT) and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
C. Nuclear Scintigraphy
11. Paraneoplastic Syndromes
Part 4 The Management of Cancer
A. Basic Chemotherapy Principles
B. Chemotherapy Drug Interactions
C. Safe Handling of Chemotherapy Drugs
D. Chemotherapy Preparation
E. Chemotherapy Administration
F. Formulary and Sources of Chemotherapeutic Agents
13. Managing Oncologic Emergencies
A. Tumor- and Treatment-related Complications
B. Treatment of Chemotherapy Extravasations
C. Transfusion Considerations
14. Surgical Interventions in Cancer
15. Radiation Therapy
A. External Beam Radiation Therapy (Teletherapy) and Brachytherapy
B. Radioisotopes in Cancer Therapy