Learn the three major methods of drug calculation! Calculate with Confidence, 7th Edition focuses on the increasing responsibility of the nurse in medication administration, prioritizes client safety with QSEN, and includes updated content that reflects the current scope of practice. This popular text covers the ratio and proportion, formula, and dimensional analysis methods offering a step-by-step approach to the calculation and administration of drug dosages. With over 2,100 practice problems, this comprehensive title focuses on enhancing the learning experience of nursing students at all curricular levels by making content clinically applicable.
- Over 2000 practice problems include pre-test and comprehensive post-test review
- Pre-test Basic Math, Comprehensive Unit and Basic Math review tests allows you a three-part approach to evaluate your understanding of basic math material covered in Unit 1, directing you to review chapters if you miss any of these test questions.
- UPDATED Medication Administration chapter includes medication safety, expansion of discussion on client rights, the basic six rights of medication administration, and routes of medication administration.
- Chapter review problems and answer key tests all major topics presented in the chapter and enables you to assess understanding of chapter content.
- Safety Alert boxes highlight issues that may lead to mediation errors and empower you to identify actions that must be taken to avoid calculation errors.
Unit One: Math Review
1. Roman Numerals
4. Ratio and Proportion
Unit Two: Systems of Measurement
6. Metric System
7. Apothecary and Household Systems
8. Converting Within and Between Systems
9. Additional Conversions Useful in the Health Care Setting
Unit Three: Methods of Administration and Calculation
10. Medication Administration
11. Understanding and Interpreting Medication Orders
12. Medication Administration Records and Drug Distribution Systems
13. Reading Medication Labels
14. Dosage Calculation Using the Ratio and Proportion Method
15. Dosage Calculation Using the Formula Method
16. Dosage Calculation Using the Dimensional Analysis Method
Unit Four: Oral and Parenteral Dosage Forms, Insulin and Pediatric Dosage Calculations
17. Calculation of Oral Medications
18. Parenteral Medications
19. Reconstitution of Solutions
Unit Five: Intravenous, Heparin, and Critical Care Calculations and Pediatric Dosage Calculations
21: Intravenous Solutions and Equipment
22. Basic Intravenous Calculations
23. Heparin Calculations
24. Critical Care Calculations
25. Pediatric and Adult Dosage Calculation Based on Weight
Appendix A: Apothecary System
Appendix B: FDA and ISMP Lists of Look-Alike Drug Names with Recommended Tall Man Letters
Appendix C: TJC Do Not Use List of Abbreviations
Appendix D: ISMP List of Error-Prone Abbreviations, Symbols, and Dose Designations
Appendix E: ISMP List of High-Alert Medication in Acute Care Settings
Drug Label Index
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2022
- 2nd October 2017
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Professor of Nursing, Department of Nursing and Allied Health Sciences, Bronx Community College, Bronx, NY
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.