Calculate with Confidence provides a clear consistent format with a step-by-step approach to the calculation and administration of drug dosages. It covers the ratio and proportion, formula, and dimensional analysis methods. This popular text focuses on enhancing the learning experience of students at all curricular levels by making content clinically applicable. Concepts relating to critical thinking, logical thinking, and nursing process are presented throughout. New practice problems have been added throughout this edition and rationales for the answers continue to be provided giving the students a better understanding of principles related to drug dosages. This fifth edition addresses the increasing responsibility of nurses in medication and administration; emphasizes the priority for client care, and presents material that reflects the current scope of the nursing practice.
- A clear and consistent, step-by-step approach to calculations and administration makes it easy to understand.
- Ratio and Proportion, Formula, and Dimensional Analysis content provides you with well-rounded coverage.
- Pretest and post-test help identify strengths and weaknesses in competency of basic math before and assess your comprehension after Unit One: Math Review.
- Points to Remember boxes highlighted in each chapter help you remember important concepts.
- Critical thinking information that should be applied in the clinical setting to help avoid drug calculation and administration errors is boxed throughout the text.
- Full-color illustrations, photographs, and drug labels familiarize you with what you'll encounter in the clinical setting.
- Current recommendations from The Joint Commission and Institute for Safe Medication Practices are followed throughout.
Unit One: Math Review
1. Roman Numerals
4. Ratio and Proportion
Unit Two: Systems of Measurement
6. Metric System
7. Apothecary and Household Systems
8. Converting Within and Between Systems
9. Additional Conversions Useful in the Health Care Setting
Unit Three: Methods of Administration and Calculation
10. Medication Administration
11. Understanding and Interpreting Medication Orders
12. Medication Administration Records and Drug Distribution Systems
13. Reading Medication Labels
14. Dosage Calculation Using the Ratio and Proportion Method
15. Dosage Calculation Using the Formula Method
16. Dosage Calculation Using the Dimensional Analysis Method
Unit Four: Oral and Parenteral Dosage Forms and Insulin
17. Calculation of Oral Medications
18. Parenteral Medications
19. Reconstitution of Solutions
Unit Five: Intravenous, Heparin, and Critical Care Calculations and Pediatric Dosage Calculations
21. Intravenous Solutions and Equipment
22. Intravenous Calculations
23. Heparin Calculations
24. Critical Care Calculations
25. Pediatric and Adult Dosage Calculation Based on Weight
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2010
- 31st August 2009
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Professor of Nursing, Department of Nursing and Allied Health Sciences, Bronx Community College, Bronx, NY