Count on this complete guide to setting up and managing an optometric practice! Business Aspects of Optometry covers everything related to the business side of a practice — such as selecting a location and staff, equipping the office, office administration and personnel management, marketing, options for a specialty practice, controlling costs, billing and reimbursement, risk management, and financial planning. To succeed in practice, this is the one resource you need!
- Unique! Expert authors are practice management educators who teach the course in optometry schools.
- A logical organization makes it easy to find practical information on managing your own practice or purchasing your own practice.
- Coverage of different types of ownership includes self-employment, individual proprietorships, partnerships, and corporations.
- Coverage of cost control issues compares the selection and use of an optical laboratory versus an in-house finishing lab.
- Risk management and insurance coverage provides an overview of personal, life, liability, and disability insurance.
- Coverage of financial planning and tax reporting discusses topics including IRAs, retirement plans, estate planning, and personal and business tax issues.
- Bulleted lists, tables, figures, and boxes help you locate valuable information quickly.
- Checklists provide a logical progression in completing tasks.
Section 1: Preparing for your Professional Career
- State of the Profession
- Personal and Professional Goal Setting
- Ownership (Self-Employment)
- Resumes and Interviews
- Debt Management
- Principles of Negotiation
- Valuation and Purchase of an Eyecare Practice
- Principles of Practice Transfer
- Deciding Where to Practice
- Elements of an Office Business Plan, Practice Financing and Obtaining a Business Loan
- Understanding Premises Leases
- Office Design
- Instrumentation and Equipment
- Controlling Cost of Goods
- Office Organization, Structure and Systems
- Human Resources: Hiring and Training Office Staff
- Human Resources: Managing and Motivating Office Staff
- Human Resources: Evaluating, Managing and Dismissing Office Staff
- Computer Business Systems and Internet Resources
- Recall Systems
- Ethics in Optometric Practice
- Professional Liability Insurance and Risk Management
- Quality Assurance
- Patient Communication
- Marketing: External and Internal
Section 2: Purchasing a Practice
Section 3: Developing a Business Plan: New Practice, Expansion and Acquisition
Section 4: Office Administration and Human Resource Issues
Section 5: Practice Administration
Section 6: Evaluation and Management of Specialty Ser
- No. of pages:
- © Butterworth-Heinemann 2010
- 15th December 2009
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN: