Building the European Capacity in Operational Oceanography
Proceedings 3rd EuroGOOS Conference
Table of Contents
- Conference Organisers. Preface. Conference Opening. Current Developments in Operational Oceanography. Global Ocean Observing Systems and the challenges of the 21st century (D.J. Baker). New European developments for Operational Oceanography (J.-F. Minster). The European contribution to GODAE (M. Bell, P. Bahurel). Regional Systems I. A possible migration from marine scientific research to operational oceanography in the context of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) (P. Ryder). Cyprus coastal ocean forecasting and observing system (G. Zodiatis, R. Lardner et al.). MAMA - Towards a new paradigm for ocean monitoring in the Mediterranean (The MAMA Consortium). Model-derived seasonal amounts of dust deposited on Mediterranean Sea and Europe (G. Kallos, A. Papadopoulos, P. Katsafados). Evaluation of POSEIDON forecasts in the Aegean Sea for a three-year period (A. Papadopoulos, L. Perivoliotis et al.). Fluorescence lidars and their potentials for the remote sensing of the marine environment (G. Cecchi, D. Lognoli et al.). Long-term sustained observing system for climatic variability studies in the Mediterranean (A. Theocharis and the CIESM initiative group). Comparison of ECMWF operational surface meteorology and buoy observations in the Ligurian Sea (R. Bozzano, A. Siccardi et al.). Impact of climate change on Adriatic Sea hydrology (A. Frasheri, N. Pano). Temperature sampling strategies assessment in the Mediterranean Forecasting System (F. Raicich). Water masses and diagnostic circulation west of Sardinia from 23 March to 4 April 2001 (R. Sorgente, A. Ribotti, I. Puillat). XBT observations in the Eastern Mediterranean: data analysis and assessment of numerical ocean forecasts (V. Zervakis, K. Nittis et al.). Marine meteorological and oceanographic services in the Hydrometcenter of Russia (Z.K. Abousiarov, V.S. Krasjuk et al.). Remote Sensing Systems. Measurement of wave groups using radar-image sequences (H. Dankert, J. Horstmann et al.). Synergy of remote sensing and numerical modelling for monitoring of suspended particulate matter (A. Pleskachevsky, J. Horstmann et al.). Monitoring precipitation using underwater acoustic remote sensing (T.H. Guymer, G.D. Quartly et al.). Marine SAR Analyses and Interpretation system - MARSAIS (J. Johannessen, T. Hamre et al.). Study and monitoring of sea ice cover in the Caspian and Aral Seas from TOPEX/POSEIDON microwave data (A.V. Kouraev, F. Papa et al.). Oceanpal: an instrument for remove sensing of the ocean and other water surfaces using GNSS reflections (G. Ruffini, M. Caparrini et al.). Monitoring of waves with X-band radar in the port of Sines (P. Izquierdo, C. Guedes Soares, J.B. Frontes). Performance of the PISCES HF radar during the DEFRA trials (L.R. Wyatt, J.J. Green et al.). Long-term changes in the Black Sea surface chlorophyll a according to in situ and modern satellite data (O.A. Yunev, V. Suetin et al.). The role of synergy in developing a Marine SAR Analysis and Interpretation System (S. Ufermann, I.S. Robinson, J.A. Johannessen). Routine scatterometer winds for the Mediterranean (A. Stoffelen). Sea Surface Salinity mapping with SMOS space mission (J. Font, G. Lagerloef et al.). Sea level prediction at the Portuguese coast based on model and remote sensed data (C. Guedes Soares, H. Hajji, P. Sebastião).
Numerical Modelling and Data Assimilation. The Forecasting Ocean Assimilation Model (FOAM) system (M. Bell, R. Barciela et al.). Coupled physical and biochemical data driven simulations of Black Sea in spring-summer: real-time forecast and data assimilation (S.T. Besiktepe). Data assimilation in an operational forecast system of the North Sea-Baltic Sea system (J.V.T. Sørensen, H. Madsen et al.). Impact of the progress in operational oceanography on oil spill drift forecasting in the Mediterranean Sea (P. Daniel, F. Marty, P. Josse). The study of seasonal variability in the Adriatic Sea with the use of EOF analysis (A. Grezio, N. Pinardi et al.). Next Generation Systems. AUVs: designing and operating next generation vehicles (G. Griffiths, I. Edwards). Sustainability analysis in marine research, monitoring and forecasting systems (J. She). EC Operational Forecasting Workshop: Reports on EC Operational Forecasting Projects. The use of HF radar networks within operational forecasting systems of coastal regions (K.-W. Gurgel, H.-H. Essen, T. Schlick). The DIADEM/TOPAZ monitoring and prediction system for the North Atlantic (L. Bertino, G. Evensen). GAVDOS: A satellite radar altimeter calibration and sea-level monitoring site on the island of Gavdos, Crete (S.P. Mertikas, E.C. Pavlis et al.). EDIOS: European Directory of the Initial Ocean Observing System (J. Verduin, J. Fischer). IOMASA - Integrated Observing and Modelling of the Arctic Surface and Atmosphere (G. Heygster, S. Andersen et al.). Marine EnviRonment and Security for the European Area, MERSEA Strand - 1 (J.A. Johannessen, P.-Y. Le Traon et al.). Integrated marine science in European shelf seas and adjacent waters (J. She, E. Buch). ESONET - European Sea Floor Observatory Network (I.G. Priede, J. Mienert et al.). In-Situ Monitoring. Use of a Ferry-Box system to look at shelf sea and ocean margin processes (D.J. Hydes, A. Yool et al.). Monitoring the marine environment operational practices in Europe (J. Legrand, M. Alfonso et al.). Smartbuoy: A marine environmental monitoring buoy with a difference (D.K. Mills, R.W.P.M. Laane et al.). ARGOS capabilities for global ocean monitoring (C. Ortega). FerryBox systems for monitoring coastal waters (W. Petersen, M. Petschatnikov et al.). Real-time oceanographic measurements using the M3A system (I. Thanos, K. Nittis, C. Tziavos). EGOS - European Group of Ocean Stations providing real time buoy observations from data sparse areas of the North Atlantic Ocean and adjacent seas (V. Wagner, A.A. Hageberg, C. Michelsen). CORIOLIS, a French project for in situ operational oceanography (S. Pouliquen, T. Carval et al.). ASSEM: Array of Sensors for long term SEabed Monitoring of geohazards (J. Blandin, R. Person et al.). Adaptive sampling for coastal environmental monitoring using a geo-referenced mobile instrument platform and correlative data visualisation (T.O. Ojo, M. Sterling et al.). A comparison with the Argo observing system - Gyroscope 0302 cruise (G. Parrilla-Barrera, M. Vargas-Yáñez et al.). Coastal oceanographic station at the entrance of the Gulf of Trieste (Northern Adriatic) (V.D. Šonc, B. Petelin). The NOR-50: a fast research vessel for operational oceanography (P. Marchand, J. Servain). Monte Carlo simulation of NaI(TI) gamma-spectra in sea water (D.S. Vlachos, C. Tsabaris). In situ calibration of biofouling-prone oceanographic sensors in the framework of the POSEIDON project (V. Zervakis, E. Krasakopoulou et al.). Waves Monitoring and Forecasting. Wave and current forecasting along the Spanish Catalan coast (A. Sanchez-Arcilla, M. Espino et al.). Progress in building a wave climate database along the French coasts through numerical hindcast simulations over a 20-years period (M. Benoit, D. Violeau et al.). Modelling of sea states sequence along a ship route using Markov theory (C. Diamanti, T. Soukissian). Real time monitoring of Spanish coastal waters: The deep water network (E. Alvarez Fanjul, M. Alfonso et al.). Adaptive neural network for wave forecasting (D.S. Vlachos, A. Papadopoulos). User Perspectives. Demand side "pull" for EuroGOOS products: Identifying market and policy decisions impacted by new environmental information (M.G. Altalo, C. Summerhayes et al.). International public goods and operational oceanography (M. Brown). Global operational oceanography and the role of the Joint WMO/IOX Technical Commission for Oceanography and Marine Meteorology (P. Dexter, J. Guddal). The Global Ocean Observing System: design and implementation of the coastal module (T.C. Malone). High-resolution wind fields from synthetic aperture radars and numerical models for offshore wind farming (S. Lehner, J. Horstmann, C. Hasager). EuroGOOS Task Teams. Towards NOOS - The EuroGOOS NW Shelf Task Team 1996-2002 (M. Holt, Chair, NOOS Steering Group). Present status of BOOS - Baltic Operational Oceanographic System (BOOS Steering group). Regional Systems 2. Review of the last 15 years with the Seawatch system (S.E. Hansen). Real-time forecast modelling for the NW European Shelf seas (M. Holt, Z. Li, J. Osborne). Arctic climate change - will the ice disappear this century? (O.M. Johannessen, M.W. Miles et al.). Approach to the operational Ocean Observing System in the Yellow Sea through China-Korea bi-lateral cooperation (D.Y. Lee, G.K. Tan et al.). Operational products and services for the Belgian coastal waters (V. Pison, J. Ozer). Co-ordinating UK inputs to EuroGOOS and GOOS (M.J. Cowling, I.H. Townend). 3D, EOF-based spatial analysis of Gyroscope observations in the North Atlantic Ocean (S. Ruiz, D. Gomis, J. Font). A unified model system for the Baltic Sea (L. Funkquist). (Alg@line - joint operational unattended phytoplankton monitoring in the Baltic Sea (L. Ruokanen, S. Kaitala et al.). Pre-operational system for oil spill simulation (P. Sebastião, C.Guedes Soares). Coastal Systems. Monitoring the Norwegian Coastal Zone Environment (MONCOZE) (J.A. Johannessen, B. Hackett et al.). Sensing the coastal environment (J.S. Bonner, F.J. Kelly et al.). The Bay of Biscay project (J. Boucher, P. Marchand). The POL Coastal Observatory (R. Proctor, M.J. Howarth). Optical variability associated with phytoplankton dynamics in the Cretan Sea during 2000 and 2001 (P. Drakopoulos, G. Petihakis et al.). Contemporary problems of navigation safety and sea pollution in the Georgian Exclusive Economic Zone (G. Metreveli, K. Bilashvili). Outfall of storm sewers in the sea - a technical review (J.D. Demetriou). Ferrybox and databuoy measurements of plankton blooms (S.E. Hartman D.J. Hydes et al.). Engineering-biological method for coastal protection (D. Parlichev, G. Parlichev). Data - Products - Users. Defence-related applications for operational oceanography (D. Jourdan, C. Lucion). The modelling system for simulation of the oil spills in the Black Sea (I. Brovchenko, A. Kuschan et al.). Society and sustainable use of the Exclusive Economic Zones (J.H. Stel). Society and sustainable use of mineral resources in the Exclusive Economic Zones (J.H. Stel, T. Homminga, H. van Muijen). Applications and availability of ocean model products from the Met Office (J. Turton). CORIOLIS: Providing a data management infrastructure for operational oceanography (L. Petit de la Villéon, Th. Carval et al.). An approach to integration of oceanographic information production on the Web (E. Vyazilov, N. Mikhalov, S. Belov). IWICOS: Integrated Weather, Sea Ice and Ocean Service System (S. Sandven, T. Hamre et al.). Digital, high resolution weather, sea ice and ocean information to the users at sea: the IWICOS demonstration during the Aranda expedition in the Fram Strait (A. Seinä, R. Berglund et al.). IWICOS architecture - software architecture for marine GIS-data interoperability (J. Haajanen, R. Berglund et al.). IWICOS metadata - describing met-ice-ocean information with metadata (J. Haajanen, M. Lind, L.T. Petersen). Delivering near real-time met-ice-ocean observation and forecast data - the IWICOS Façade (V. Kotovirta, R. Berglund et al.). Interactive Internet coastal wave information production and retrieval system (K.C. Jun, D.Y. Lee et al.). MEDAR/MEDATLAS 2002: A Mediterranean and Black Sea database for operational oceanography (M. Fichaut, M.-J. Garcia et al.). POLIS; Poseidon On-line Information System (D.S. Vlachos). GMES Marine Forum. An introduction to the Global Monitoring for Environment and Security (GMES) initiative (P. Ryder, J.H. Stel et al.). Closure. Conference Valedictory Speech (N. Flemming). Index of Keywords. Index of Authors. List of Reviewers. List of Participants.
- No. of pages: 714
- Language: English
- Copyright: © Elsevier Science 2003
- Published: December 4, 2003
- Imprint: Elsevier Science
- eBook ISBN: 9780080528328
About the Editors
Affiliations and Expertise
Affiliations and Expertise
Affiliations and Expertise
Affiliations and Expertise
Ratings and Reviews
There are currently no reviews for "Building the European Capacity in Operational Oceanography"