Bronchoscopy and Central Airway Disorders provides the guidance you need to plan and implement the most effective bronchoscopy procedure for every patient. Through specifically-designed case scenarios with correlating review questions and videos, this practical respiratory medicine reference leads you through the decision-making process and execution of these sometimes complex procedures, as well as the optimal long-term management of your patients.
- Master various bronchoscopic approaches and techniques necessary to treat a variety of malignancies that may occur in the trachea or lungs.
- Consider the rationale and weigh the consequences of each approach. Case resolutions at the end of each chapter --with commentary and alternative approaches from 36 key experts in interventional bronchoscopy -- illustrate the decision-making process from patient evaluation through long-term management.
- Reinforce learning by correlating key concepts and practice through study questions related to each clinical scenario.
- See exactly how to proceed with high-quality videos online that capture crucial teaching moments and provide a walkthrough of sometimes complex procedures including the placement of airway stents via bronchoscopy for a variety of diseases and complications, such as airway collapse due to COPD.
- Systematically think through diagnostic and interventional (therapeutic) bronchoscopic procedures using Dr. Colt’s unique "Four Box" approach: Initial Evaluation; Procedural Techniques and Results; Procedural Strategies; and Long-term Management Plan.
- Access the full text online at www.expertconsult.com, along with image and video libraries, review questions, and more!
How to Use This Book: The "Four Box" Approach
Section 1. Practical Approach to Benign Exophytic Airway Obstruction
1. Rigid Bronchoscopy With Laser Resection for Tracheal Obstruction From Recurrent Respiratory Papillomatosis
2. Endoscopic therapy of endobronchial typical carcinoid
3. Bronchoscopic treatment of silicone stent–related granulation tissue
4. Bronchoscopic Removal of a Broncholith From the Lateral Wall of the Proximal Bronchus Intermedius
5. Treatment of tracheobronchial aspergillosis superimposed on post tuberculosis-related tracheal stricture
Section 2. Practical Approach to Benign Tracheal Stenosis
6. Bronchoscopic Treatment of Idiopathic Laryngotracheal Stenosis With Glottis Involvement
7. Idiopathic subglottic stenosis without glottis involvement
8. Post Intubation Tracheal Stenosis
9. Bronchoscopic Treatment of Post Tracheostomy Tracheal Stenosis With Chondritis
10. Bronchoscopic Treatment of Wegener’s Granulomatosis-Related Subglottic Stenosis
Section 3. Practical Approach to Expiratory Central Airway Collapse
11. Silicone Stent Insertion for Focal Crescent Type Tracheomalacia in a Patient With sarcoidosis
12. Stent insertion for diffuse circumferential tracheobronchomalacia caused by relapsing polychondritis
13. CPAP treatment for moderate diffuse excessive dynamic airway collapse caused by Mounier-Kuhn syndrome
14. Stent insertion for severe diffuse excessive dynamic airway collapse caused by COPD
Section 4. Practical Approach to Mediastinal Lymphadenopathy (EBUS and alternatives)
15. EBUS-TBNA for Right Upper Lobe Mass and Right Lower Paratracheal Lymphadenopathy
16: EBUS-TBNA of right lower paratracheal lymph node (station 4R)
17: EBUS-TBNA of a left lower paratracheal node (level 4L) in a patient with a left upper lobe lung mass and suspected lung cancer
18. EBUS-TBNA for Subcentimeter PET Negative Subcarinal LAD (Station 7) and a Right Lower Lobe Pulmonary Nodule
19. EBUS-Guided TBNA for isolated subcarinal lymphadenopathy (station 7).
Section 5. Practical Approach to Malignant Central Airway Obstruction
20. Stent insertion for extrinsic tracheal obstruction caused by thyroid carcinoma
21. Rigid bronchoscopy tumor debulking and silicone stent insertion for mixed malignant tracheal obstruction caused by esophageal carcinoma
22. Rigid bronchoscopy with laser and stent placement for bronchus intermedius obstruction from lung cancer involving the right main pulmonary artery
23: Photodynamic therapy for palliation of infiltrative endoluminal obstruction at left secondary carina and left lower lobe bronchus
24. Rigid Bronchoscopy With Y Stent Insertion at Left Secondary Carina
Section 6. Practical Approach to Other Central Airway Disease Processes
25: Rigid bronchoscopy for removal of a foreign body lodged in the right lower lobe bronchus
26. Treatment of critical left main bronchial obstruction and acute respiratory failure in the setting of right pneumonectomy
27. Stent insertion for tracheo-broncho-esophageal fistula at the level of lower trachea and left mainstem bronchus
28. Rigid bronchoscopic intervention for central airway obstruction and concurrent superior vena cava syndrome caused by small cell carcinoma
29. Bronchoscopic treatment of a large right mainstem bronchial stump fistula
30. Hemoptysis caused by distal left main bronchial tumor in a patient with primary lung adenocarcinoma
Section 7. Case-Based Self-Assessment Questions
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2012
- 24th July 2012
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
Septimiu Dan Murgu, MD, FCCP, Clinical Professor and Co-director of Medical Intensive Care Unit, University of California Irvine Medical Center, Irvine, California, USA