• The role of imaging in breast diagnosis including screening and excision of impalpable lesions
• Pathology and biology of breast cancer
• Nipple discharge and the role of ductoscopy in breast diseases
• Breast-conserving surgery: the balance between good cosmesis and local control
• Techniques of mastectomy – tips and pitfalls
• Oncoplastic procedures to allow breast conservation and a satisfactory cosmetic outcome
• The axilla: current management including sentinel node and lymphoedema
• The genetics of breast cancer, risk-reducing surgery and prevention
• Breast reconstruction
• Breast cancer treatments of uncommon diseases
• Treatment of ductal carcinoma in situ
• The role of adjuvant systemic therapy in patients with operable breast cancer
• Locally advanced breast cancer
• Metastatic disease and palliative care
• The role of adjuvant radiotherapy in the management of breast cancer
• Psychosocial issues in breast cancer
• Benign breast disease
• Litigation in breast disease
Breast Surgery meets the needs of surgeons in higher training and practising consultants for a contemporary and evidence-based account of this sub-specialty that is relevant to their general surgical practice. It is a practical reference source incorporating the most current information on recent developments, management issues and operative procedures. The text is thoroughly referenced and supported by evidence-based recommendations wherever possible, distinguishing between strong evidence to support a conclusion, and evidence suggesting that a recommendation can be reached on the balance of probabilities.
This is a title in the Companion to Specialist Surgical Practice series whose eight volumes are an established and highly regarded source of information for the specialist general surgeon.
- The Companion to Specialist Surgical Practice series provides a current and concise summary of the key topics within each major surgical sub-specialty.
- Each volume highlights evidence-based practice both in the text and within the extensive list of references at the end of every chapter.
- Purchase of a print book also includes a downloadable version of the eBook.
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders Ltd. 2013
- 2nd August 2013
- Saunders Ltd.
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
''This is an excellent book. The contributors are widely recognised experts with particular expertise in their chapter subjects. What I particularly like about this book is the very strong "surgical flavour". There is a particularly good section on factors that predict for recurrence following breast conserving surgery, and factors that influence cosmetic outcome. All chapters are well written, balanced and up to date. In short I would recommend this book to any breast surgical trainee, or anyone wanting a refresher on the current evidence base to modern surgical breast cancer treatment''.
Breast Surgery Ramsey I Cutress
Professor of Surgery, University of Edinburgh; Clinical Director, Edinburgh Breakthrough Unit; Consultant Surgeon, NHS Lothian Edinburgh Breast Unit, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, UK