- Brings one of the most exciting areas of AI research to life by following the story of Blondie24's development in the lab through her evolution into an expert-rated checkers player, based on her impressive success in Internet competition.
- Explains the foundations of evolutionary computation, simply and clearly.
- Presents complex material in an engaging style for readers with no background in computer science or artificial intelligence.
- Examines foundational issues surrounding the creation of a thinking machine.
- Debates whether the famous Turing Test really tests for intelligence.
- Challenges deeply entrenched myths about the successes and implication of some well-known AI experiments.
- Shows Blondie's moves with checkerboard diagrams that readers can easily follow.
Table of Contents
- Part 1 - Setting the Stage
Chapter 1 - Intelligent Machines: Imitating Life
Chapter 2 - Deep Blue: A Triumph of AI?
Chapter 3 - Building An Artificial Brain
Chapter 4 - Evolutionary Computation: Putting Nature to Work
Chapter 5 - Blue Hawaii: Natural Selection
Chapter 6 - Checkers
Chapter 7 - Chinook: The Man-machine Checkers Champion
Chapter 8 - Samuel's Learning Machine
Chapter 9 - The Samuel-Newell Challenge
Part 2 - The Making of Blondie
Chapter 10 - Evolving in the Checkers Environment
Chapter 11 - In The Zone
Chapter 12 - A Repeat Performance
Chapter 13 - A New Dimension
Chapter 14 - Letting the Genie Out of the Bottle
Chapter 15 - Blondie24
Epilogue: The Future of Artificial Intelligence
Appendix: Your Honor, I Object!
About the Author
- No. of pages: 406
- Language: English
- Copyright: © Morgan Kaufmann 2001
- Published: September 26, 2001
- Imprint: Morgan Kaufmann
- Paperback ISBN: 9781558607835
- eBook ISBN: 9780080500188
About the Author
David B. Fogel is the CEO of Natural Selection, Inc., a company which addresses complex, real-world problems in the areas of industry, medicine, and defense by applying the techniques of evolutionary computation, neural networks, fuzzy systems, knowledge-based systems, and stochastic processes, among other technologies. Dr. Fogel was the founding president of the Evolutionary Programming Society and was elected a Fellow of the IEEE in 1999. He is the founding editor-in-chief of the IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation and serves on the editorial boards of several journals including BioSystems, Fuzzy Sets and Systems, and Journal of Scheduling.
Affiliations and Expertise
Ratings and Reviews
There are currently no reviews for "Blondie24"