Black’s Medical-Surgical Nursing: Clinical Management for Positive Outcomes, First South Asia Edition, takes you from basic to advanced medical-surgical nursing with a number of online resources that make it easier to teach and learn concepts. This text provides a reliable foundation in anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology, medical management, and nursing care for the full spectrum of adult health conditions. The roles of various health care professionals in managing each disorder and disease are clearly outlined, and evidence-based practice and clinical guidelines are integrated throughout the text.
- UNIQUE! Evidence-Based Practice icons identify statements based on primary research or standardized guidelines and teach you to base your practice on solid research evidence.
- Translating Evidence into Practice boxes present a topic in the form of a clinical question and summarize the conclusions of 4-5 research articles, encouraging you to judge the research for yourself and consider how it relates to the nursing setting.
- Care Plans highlight nursing diagnoses and collaborative problems, expected outcomes, interventions with rationales, and evaluation to help you prioritize tasks and determine the appropriate treatment.
- Thinking Critically questions at the end of each nursing care chapter pose short, typical client scenarios followed by questions about what actions to take to test your critical thinking skills.
- Concept Maps illustrate the links among pathophysiological processes, clinical manifestations, medical treatment, and nursing interventions.
- Integrating Pharmacology boxes help you understand how medications can be used for disease management by exploring common classifications of routinely used medications.
- Bridge to Critical Care and Bridge to Home Health Care boxes introduce you to critical care and home health nursing by connecting these related specialties to medical-surgical nursing.
- Feature boxes highlight issues in Critical Monitoring, Management and Delegation, Genetics, Terrorism, Community-Based Practice, and Physical Assessment in the Healthy Adult.
- UNIQUE! Completely revised and newly illustrated chapter on structural cardiac disorders provides the latest information on the expected outcomes of transplantation and the related nursing care.
- UNIQUE! Chapter on management of clients with integumentary disorders includes author Joyce Black's cutting-edge research on pressure ulcers.
- NIC and NOC labels incorporated throughout in the Nursing Care Plans demonstrate the application of these standardized nursing taxonomies to everyday clinical practice.
- UNIQUE! Integrating Diagnostic Studies boxes in every assessment chapter provide examples of laboratory and imaging studies that may be ordered during the course of a client's illness.
- Safety Alert icons identify common hospital emergencies and The Joint Commission's patient safety goals and sentinel events to help you keep your patients safe.
Unit 1. Foundations of Practice
1. Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
2. Health Assessment
3. Critical Thinking
4. Complementary and Alternative Therapies
Unit 2. Health Care Delivery Systems
5. Ambulatory Health Care
6. Acute Health Care
7. Critical Care
8. Home Health Care
9. Long-Term Care
Unit 3. Foundations of Medical-Surgical Nursing
11. Geriatric Nursing
12. Clients with Fluid Imbalances
13. Clients with Electrolyte Imbalances
14. Acid-Base Balance
15. Clients Having Surgery: Promoting Positive Outcomes
Unit 4. Physiologic Foundations
16. Perspectives in Genetics
17. Perspectives in Oncology
18. Clients with Cancer
19. Clients with Wounds
20. Perspectives on Infectious Disease and Bioterrorism
Unit 5. Psychosocial Foundations
21. Clients with Pain
22. Perspectives in Palliative Care
23. Clients with Sleep and Rest Disorders and Fatigue
24. Clients with Psychosocial and Mental Health Concerns
25. Clients with Substance Abuse Disorders
Unit 6. Musculoskeletal Disorders
26. Assessment of the Musculoskeletal System
27. Management of Clients with Musculoskeletal Disorders
28. Management of Clients with Musculoskeletal Trauma or Overuse
Unit 7. Nutritional Disorders
29. Assessment of Nutrition and the Digestive System
30. Management of Clients with Malnutrition
31. Management of Clients with Ingestive Disorders
32. Management of Clients with Digestive Disorders
Unit 8. Elimination Disorders
33. Assessment of Elimination
34. Management of Clients with Intestinal Disorders
35. Management of Clients with Urinary Disorders
36. Management of Clients with Renal Disorders
37. Management of Clients with Renal Failure
UNIT 9. Sexuality and Reproductive Disorders
38. Assessment of the Reproductive Systems
39. Management of Men with Reproductive Disorders
40. Management of Women with Reproductive Disorders
41. Management of Clients with Breast Disorders
42. Management of Clients with Sexually Transmitted Infections
UNIT 10. Metabolic Disorders
43. Assessment of the Endocrine and Metabolic Systems
44. Management of Clients with Thyroid and Parathyroid Disorders
45. Management of Clients with Adrenal and Pituitary Disorders
46. Management of Clients with Diabetes Mellitus
47. Management of Clients with Exocrine Pancreatic and Biliary Disorders
48. Management of Clients with Hepatic Disorders
UNIT 11. Integumentary Disorders
49. Assessment of the Integumentary System
50. Management of Clients with Integumentary Disorders
51. Management of Clients with Burn Injury
Unit 12. Vascular Disorders
52. Assessment of the Vascular System
53. Management of Clients with Hypertensive Disorders
54. Management of Clients with Vascular Disorders
UNIT 13. Cardiac Disorders
55. Assessment of the Cardiac System
56. Management of Clients with Structural Cardiac Disorders
57. Management of Clients with Functional Cardiac Disorders
58. Management of Clients with Dysrhythmias
59. Management of Clients with Myocardial Infarction
Unit 14. Oxygenation Disorders
60. Assessment of the Respiratory System
61. Management of Clients with Upper Airway Disorders
62. Management of Clients with Lower Airway and Pulmonary Vessel Disorders
63. Management of Clients with Parenchymal and Pleural Disorders
64. Management of Clients with Acute Pulmonary Disorders
UNIT 15. Sensory Disorders
65. Assessment of the Eyes and Ears
66. Management of Clients with Visual Disorders
67. Management of Clients with Hearing and Balance Disorders
UNIT 16. Cognitive and Perceptual Disorders
68. Assessment of the Neurologic System
69. Management of Comatose or Confused Clients
70. Management of Clients with Cerebral Disorders
71. Management of Clients with Peripheral Nervous System Disorders
72. Management of Clients with Stroke
73. Management of Clients with Degenerative Neurologic Disorders
74. Management of Clients with Neurologic Trauma
UNIT 17. Protective Disorders
75. Assessment of the Hematopoietic System
76. Management of Clients with Hematologic Disorders
77. Management of Clients with Immune Disorders
78. Management of Clients with Rheumatic Disorders
79. Management of Clients with Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome
80. Management of Clients with Leukemia and Lymphoma
UNIT 18. Multisystem Disorders
81. Management of Clients Requiring Transplantation
82. Management of Clients with Shock and Multisystem Disorders
83. Management of Clients in the Emergency Department
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier India 2019
- 15th April 2019
- Elsevier India
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.