Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Part 1 Introduction to biocomposites
1. Natural composites: structure–property relationships in bone, cartilage, ligament and tendons
2. Design and fabrication of biocomposites
3. Hard tissue applications of biocomposites
4. Soft tissue applications of biocomposite
Part 2 Particular applications of biocomposites
5. Composite materials for bone repair
6. Composite coatings for implants and tissue engineering scaffolds
7. Composite materials for spinal implants
8. Composites for dental applications (New chapter: Composites of dense collagen gels as tissue models)
9. Acrylic bone cements for joint replacement
10. Composite materials for replacement of ligaments and tendons
11. Injectable composites for bone repair
12. Composite materials for hip joint prostheses
13. Harnessing the properties of fiber-reinforced composites in the design of tissue-engineered scaffolds
14. 3D printing of customized biocomposite scaffolds and structures
Part 3 Biocompatibility, mechanical behaviour and failure of biocomposites
15. The challenge of biocompatibility evaluation of biocomposites
16. Cellular response to biocomposites
17. Testing the in vivo biocompatibility of biocomposites
18. The mechanics of biocomposites
19. Tribology of biocomposites
20. Fatigue behaviour of biocomposites
21. Modelling biocomposites
Part 4 The future for biocomposites
22. Nanostructured biocomposites for tissue engineering scaffolds
23. Developing biocomposites as scaffolds in regenerative medicine
24. Developing targeted biocomposites in tissue engineering and regenerative medicine
25. Ethical issues affecting the use of biocomposites
26. Regulatory issues
Biomedical Composites, Second Edition, provides revised, expanded, and updated content suitable for those active in the biomaterials and bioengineering field. Three new chapters cover modeling of biocomposites, 3D printing of customized scaffolds, and constructs and regulatory issues. Chapters from the first edition have been revised in order to provide up-to-date, comprehensive coverage of developments in the field.
Part One discusses the fundamentals of biocomposites, with Part Two detailing a wide range of applications of biocomposites. Chapters in Part Three discuss the biocompatibility, mechanical behavior, and failure of biocomposites, while the final section looks at the future for biocomposites.
Professor Luigi Ambrosio is the Director of the Institute for Composite and Biomedical Materials, Italy. He is a renowned scientist with expertise in biomedical composites and has published over 150 papers in international scientific journals and books, 16 patents, and over 250 presentations at international and national conferences.
- Led by an expert editor with many years of experience in academia and widely recognized as an international expert on biomedical composites
- Features an overview of biocomposites for a wide range of biomedical applications
- Provides revised, expanded, and updated coverage, including three new chapters
Academic and industrial scientists working in the general area of composites as well as biomedical composites
- No. of pages:
- © Woodhead Publishing 2017
- 1st May 2017
- Woodhead Publishing
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Professor Luigi Ambrosio is a Research Director at the Institute for Polymers, Composites and Biomaterials, Italy. He is a renowned scientist with expertise in biomedical composites and has published over 300 papers in international scientific journals and books, 16 patents, 150 invited lectures and over 400 presentations at international and national conferences.
Director, Institute for Composite and Biomedical Materials, National Research Council, Adjunct Professor, Biomaterials, University of Naples "Federico II'