Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Bioinformatics Algorithms: Design and Implementation in Python provides a comprehensive book on many of the most important bioinformatics problems, putting forward the best algorithms and showing how to implement them. The book focuses on the use of the Python programming language and its algorithms, which is quickly becoming the most popular language in the bioinformatics field. Readers will find the tools they need to improve their knowledge and skills with regard to algorithm development and implementation, and will also uncover prototypes of bioinformatics applications that demonstrate the main principles underlying real world applications.
- Presents an ideal text for bioinformatics students with little to no knowledge of computer programming
- Based on over 12 years of pedagogical materials used by the authors in their own classrooms
- Features a companion website with downloadable codes and runnable examples (such as using Jupyter Notebooks) and exercises relating to the book
Bioinformatics and Computational Biology researchers, biomedical engineers, as well as undergrad and postgraduate students in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
Part I: Bioinformatics Basics
2. Relevant Biological Concepts
3. Algorithms and Python: Introduction
4. Optimization: Basic Concepts and Algorithms
Part II: Sequence Analysis Algorithms
5. Basic Processing of DNA Sequences: Transcription and Translation
6. Finding Patterns in Sequences
7. Pairwise Sequence Alignment
8. Searching Similar Sequences in Databases
9. Multiple Sequence Alignment
10. Phylogenetic Analysis
11. Motif Discovery
12. Hidden Markov Models
13. Stochastic Algorithms
Part III: Graph and Large-Scale Sequencing Data Processing
15. Biological Networks
16. Assembling Reads into Genomes
17. Matching Reads to Reference Sequences
Part IV: Conclusions
18. Further Reading and Resources
19. Final Words
Appendix: Python Reference Functions
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2018
- 12th June 2018
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Miguel Rocha is an Associate Professor at the University of Minho (Portugal), where he
teaches in the Informatics Department and has a senior researcher position in the Centre
of Biological Engineering. He is the Director and founder of the Master in Bioinformatics
since 2007, teaching and coordinating curricular units related to Bioinformatics algorithms
and tools, data analysis and machine learning. His research is mainly devoted to
Bioinformatics subjects, including the development of tools and algorithms for metabolic
modelling andomics data analysis.
Associate Professor of Informatics and Senior Researcher, University of Minho, Portugal
Pedro G. Ferreira is an Assistant Researcher at Ipatimup/i3S (Portugal), where he has an FCT Investigator Starting grant. He develops research on computational biology in particular in the fields of cancer and population genomics. He has collaborated with several research groups and has been involved in different international consortia including ICGC-CLL, GEUVADIS or GTEx. He has intensive training in Bioinformatics and experience in genomics start-up environment where he has developed information systems for personal genomics data interpretation.
Assistant Researcher, Ipatimup/i3S, Portugal
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.