This textbook ‘Biochemistry’ has become one of the most preferred text books (in India and many other countries) for the students as well as teachers in medical, biological and other allied sciences. The book has undergone three editions, several reprints, and revised reprints in a span of 13 years.
There are many biochemistry textbooks in the market. Some of them are purely basic while others are applied, and there are very few books which cover both these aspects together. For this reason, the students learning biochemistry in their undergraduate courses have to depend on multiple books to acquire a sound knowledge of the subject.
This book, ‘Biochemistry’ is unique with a simultaneous and equal emphasis on basic and applied aspects of biochemistry. This textbook offers an integration of medical and pure sciences, comprehensively written to meet the curriculum requirements of undergraduate courses in medical, dental, pharmacy, life-sciences and other categories (agriculture, veterinary, etc.).
This book is designed to develop in students a sustained interest and enthusiasm to learn and develop the concepts in biochemistry in a logical and stepwise manner. It incorporates a variety of pedagogic aids, besides colour illustrations to help the students understand the subject quickly and to the maximum. The summary and biomedical/clinical concepts are intended for a rapid absorption and assimilation of the facts and concepts in biochemistry. The self-assessment exercises will stimulate the students to think rather than merely learn the subject. In addition, these exercises (essays, short notes, fill in the blanks, multiple choice questions) set at different difficulty levels, will cater to the needs of all the categories of learners.
New to This Edition
- The book offers an integration of medical and pure sciences, and is comprehensively written, revised and updated to meet the curriculum requirements of Medical, Pharmacy, Dental, Veterinary, Biotechnology, Agricultural Sciences, Life Sciences, and others studying Biochemistry as one of the subjects.
- It is the first text book on Biochemistry in English with multi-colour illustrations by an author from Asia. The use of multicolours is for a clearer understanding of the complicated biochemical reactions.
- It is written in a lucid style with the subject being presented as an engaging story growing from elementary information to the most recent advances, and with theoretical discussions being supplemented with illustrations, flowcharts, and tables for easy understanding of Biochemistry.
- It has each chapter beginning with a four-line verse followed by the text, biomedical concepts, a summary, and self-assessment exercises. The lively illustrations and text with appropriate headings and sub-headings in bold type faces facilitate reading path clarity and quick recall.
- It provides the most recent and essential information on Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Diabetes, Cancer, Free Radicals, Free radicals and Antioxidants, Prostaglandins, etc.
- It describes a wide variety of case studies and biochemical correlations and several newer biomedical aspects- Metabolic syndrome, Therapeutic diets, Atkins diet, Trans fatty acids, Epigenetics, Nutrigenomics, Recombinant ribozymes, Membrane transport disorders, Pleural fluid etc.
- It contains the basics (Bioorganic and Biophysical Chemistry, Tools of Biochemistry, Immunology, and Genetics) for beginners to learn easily Biochemistry, origins of biochemical words, confusables in Biochemistry, principles of Practical Biochemistry, and Clinical Biochemistry Laboratory.
Chemical Constituents of Life
1 Biomolecules and the cell
4 Proteins and amino acids
5 Nucleic acids and nucleotides
8 Digestion and absorption
9 Plasma proteins
10 Hemoglobin and porphyrins
11 Biological oxidation
12 Introduction to metabolism
13 Metabolism of carbohydrates
14 Metabolism of lipids
15 Metabolism of amino acids
16 Integration of metabolism
17 Metabolism of nucleotides
18 Mineral metabolism
Clinical Biochemistry and Nutrition
20 Organ function tests
21 Water, electrolyte and acid-base balance
22 Tissue proteins and body fluids
Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
24 DNA-replication, recombination and repair
25 Transcription and translation
26 Regulation of gene expression
27 Recombinant DNA and biotechnology
28 Human genome project
29 Gene therapy
31 Metabolism of xenobiotics (detoxification)
32 Prostaglandins and related compounds
33 Biological membranes and transport
34 Free radicals and antioxidants
35 Environmental biochemistry
36 Insulin, glucose homeostasis, and diabetes mellitus
38 Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS)
Basics to Learn Biochemistry
39 Introduction to bioorganic chemistry
40 Overview of biophysical chemistry
41 Tools of biochemistry
Answers to Self-assessment Exercises
i Abbreviations used in this book
ii Origins of important biochemical words
iii Common confusables in biochemistry
iv Practical biochemistry—principles
v Clinical biochemistry laboratory
vi Case studies with biochemical correlations
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier India 2013
- 15th June 2013
- Elsevier India
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Over 40 years (30 years as Professor) of teaching experience; authored four other popular books; published about 60 research papers in national and international journals; Gold medallist of Nagpur University; recipient of the Dr Krishnaswamy Best Teacher Award (of Siddhartha medical college); Fellow, National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry, USA, and the Institute of Chemists, India; Member of Research Board of Advisors for the American Biographical Institute; honoured as an Outstanding Scientist Worldwide-2007, by the International Biographical Centre, England.
Professor of Biochemistry & Director (Research) Dr. Pinnamaneni Siddhartha Institute of Medical Sciences (Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences) Chinaoutpalli, Gannavaram (Mdl) Krishna (Dist), A.P., India