Bioactive Compounds: Health Benefits and Potential Applications provides information about different bioactive compounds including their sources, biological effects, health benefits and, potential applications which could contribute as alternatives in the prevention or treatment of multifactorial diseases for vulnerable population groups. Going beyond the basics to include discussion of bioaccessibility and the legislative aspects of marketing of bioactive compounds as nutraceuticals or food supplements, this book presents insights from a global perspective.
Written for researchers, professors and graduate students, this book is sure to be a welcomed reference for all who work in food chemistry, new product development and nutritional science.
- Highlights potential contribution of bioactive compounds as alternatives in the prevention or treatment of disease
- Investigates the world of bioactive compounds and the many activities associated to them, without neglecting important aspects such as the bioavailability
- Contains information relevant to food chemistry, new product development, and nutritional science
Researchers, professors and graduate students in health and food science who specialize in food chemistry, new product development and nutritional science
1. Antioxidant activity of phenolic compounds
2. Antidiabetic activity of bioactive compounds
3. Antihypertensive effect of plants extracts
4. Anti-inflammatory effect of medicinal plants
5. Anticancer activity of plants metabolites
6. Bioavailability of bioactive compounds in vitro and in vivo models
7. Bioactive compounds as ingredients of functional foods
8. Health benefits of bioactive compounds
9. Health benefits of functional foods
10. Bioactive compounds and functional foods as therapeutic alternative
- No. of pages:
- © Woodhead Publishing 2019
- 1st January 2019
- Woodhead Publishing
- Paperback ISBN:
Maira Rubi Segura Campos is research professor and the head of the food science laboratory within the chemical engineering faculty at Universidad Autónoma de Yucatán in Mexico. She is National Researcher Level I (2012-2018) of the National System of Researchers and has collaborations with national and international research groups. She is responsible for and has contributed to different research projects and is author of national and international articles, books, congress memories, and book chapters. She also serves as advisory of undergraduate and graduate theses.
Research Professor and Head of the Food Science Laboratory, Chemical Engineering Faculty, Universidad Autonoma de Yucatan