Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
1. Introduction to bio-based materials and biotechnologies for eco-efficient construction
PART I BIO-BASED MATERIALS AND BIOTECHNOLOGIES FOR INFRASTRUCTURE APPLICATIONS
2. Sustainable carbohydrate-derived building materials
3. Biobased Polymers for Mitigating Early- and Late-Age Cracking in Concrete
4. Influence of two commercial superplasticizers and a biopolymer on the performance of waste based alkali-activated mortars
5. Fire-retardant bioproducts for green buildings
6. Properties of bio-asphalt derived from castor oil
PART II BIO-BASED MATERIALS AND BIOTECHNOLOGIES FOR BUILDING ENERGY EFFICIENCY
7. Building insulation materials based on agricultural wastes
8. Bio-based insulation materials performance in an old building envelope system
9. Tilia sp.’s pruning residues wood panels for thermal insulation
10. Properties of clayey plasters with olive fibers
11. Thermal insulation biomaterial base on Hydrangea macrophylla
12. Bio-based phase change materials
13. Building integrated photobioreactor
PART III BIO-BASED MATERIALS AND BIOTECHNOLOGIES FOR OTHER APPLICATIONS
14. Biotechnology for soil decontamination
15. Botanical biofiltration for reducing indoor air pollution
16. Cellulose-TiO2 composites for the removal of water pollutants
17. Environmental safety of biotechnological materials and processes
18. Biotechnology for immobilization of chemical, biological and radioactive pollutants on land and infrastructure demolition waste after industrial accident or terroristic attack
Bio-based Materials and Biotechnologies for Eco-efficient Construction fills a gap in the published literature, discussing bio-based materials and biotechnologies that are crucial for a more sustainable construction industry. With comprehensive coverage and contributions from leading experts in the field, the book includes sections on Bio-based materials and biotechnologies for infrastructure applications, Bio-based materials and biotechnologies for building energy efficiency, and other applications, such as using biotechnology to reduce indoor air pollution, for water treatment, and in soil decontamination. The book will be an essential reference resource for academic researchers, civil engineers, contractors working in construction works, postgraduate students and other professionals.
- Focuses on sustainability and green concepts in construction
- Discusses recent trends on bio-based materials and biotechnologies for eco-efficient construction
- Covers many important aspects, including infrastructure applications, energy efficiency for building construction, and air, water and soil related problems
Academic researchers, civil engineers, construction contractors, postgraduate students and other professionals interested in eco-efficient construction
- No. of pages:
- © Woodhead Publishing 2020
- 13th March 2020
- Woodhead Publishing
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
F. Pacheco-Torgal is a Principal Investigator at the University of Minho, Portugal. He holds the title Counsellor from the Portuguese Engineers Association. He has authored more than 300 publications, 119 in Scopus and 107 in Web of Science-WoS. His publications have been viewed or downloaded almost 500,000 times. He currently holds the record for the highest Platinum SCI h-index and the highest K-index in the field of Civil Engineering in Portugal. He is in the Top 10 Platinum SCI h-index in the world for the field of construction and building materials. He is a member of the editorial board for 9 international journals, 5 referenced on Web of Science and two referenced on Scopus. He currently holds the record for the highest ratio (papers handled as editor/year) in the field of Civil Engineering in Portugal. He has acted as a Foreign Expert in the evaluation of 18 PhD thesis. In the last 10 years he has been a Member of the Scientific Committee for almost 60 conferences most of them in Asian countries. He is also a grant assessor for several scientific institutions in 13 countries, UK, US, Netherlands, China, France, Australia, Kazakhstan, Belgium, Spain, Czech Republic, Saudi Arabia, UA. Emirates, Poland and, the EU Commission. He has also been an invited reviewer for 125 international journals and has reviewed almost 1000 papers. His review record places him at the Top 0.1% between 2 million reviewers registered in Publons. He currently ranks second place between more than 10.000 reviewers in civil engineering. He has been leading editor of 22 international books published by Woodhead Publishing, Elsevier and Springer, 10 being on the Master Book List of Web of Science. He currently holds the record for having the highest number of books indexed in WoS in the field of Civil Engineering in Portugal. Two of those books are the Scopus most cited ever in the field of Civil Engineering in Portugal.
Principal Investigator, University of Minho, Braga, Portugal
Dr. Volodymyr Ivanov has more than 40 years of teaching and research experience on Environmental, Industrial, and Construction Microbiology and Biotechnology in the universities of Europe, Asia, and USA. He has authored 200 papers, patents, book chapters and 8 monographs. His textbook “Environmental Microbiology for Engineers”, Francis & Taylor, 1st (2010) and 2nd (2015) editions, has been adopted for graduate and post-graduate courses in many universities. His research experience includes the supervision and participation in numerous projects on biotechnologies with biofilms and biogranules, microbial transformations of iron, biocementation, bioclogging, bioremediation of soil, and microbiological monitoring of water quality.
Professor at the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Dr. Daniel C.W. Tsang is currently an Associate Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University and Honorary Associate Professor at the University of Queensland in Australia. He was an IMETE Visiting Scholar at Ghent University in Belgium, Visiting Scholar at Stanford University in the US, Senior Lecturer and Lecturer at the University of Canterbury in New Zealand, and Post-doctoral Fellow at Imperial College London in the UK and the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. Dan’s research strives to develop low-impact solutions to promote circular economy, sustainable waste management, and decarbonization strategies. Dan has published over 400 research papers in top 10% journals and currently serves as Associate Editor and Editorial Board Member in several prestigious journals. Dan has received the Excellence in Review Award at Green Chemistry and Environmental Science and Technology, etc. Dan is the Chair and Organizer of many international conferences including 5th Asia Pacific Biochar Conference (APBC2021).
Associate Professor and Programme Leader, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Hong Kong polytechnic University
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.