Berry & Kohn’s Operating Room Technique has been the text of choice for understanding basic surgical principles and techniques for more than 50 years. Highly readable, accurate, and comprehensive, it covers the "nuts and bolts" of surgical techniques in a format that makes it easy to effectively apply basic principles to clinical practice. Expert author Nancymarie Phillips emphasizes the importance of teamwork throughout, with practical strategies and examples of how cooperation among perioperative caregivers contributes to positive patient care outcomes.
- Detailed coverage presents the fundamentals of perioperative nursing and surgical technology roles.
- A strong focus on the physiological, psychological, and spiritual considerations of perioperative patients gives you the knowledge you need to plan and implement comprehensive, individualized care.
- Discussions of perioperative patient care for both inpatient and ambulatory procedures highlights key considerations for each setting, as well as for individual surgical procedures.
- In-depth discussions of patients with special needs related to age or health status helps you learn to develop of a plan of care tailored to the unique care parameters of all patients.
- Helpful features such as chapter outlines with page numbers, chapter objectives, and key terms and definitions help you quickly find important information and focus your study time.
Section One: Fundamentals of Theory and Practice
1: Perioperative Education
2. Foundations of Perioperative Patient Care Standards
3. Legal, Regulatory, and Ethical Issues
Section Two: The Perioperative Patient Care Team
4. The Perioperative Patient Care Team and Professional Credentialing
5. The Surgical First Assistant
6. Administration of Perioperative Patient Care Services
Section Three: The Patient as a Unique Individual
7. The Patient: The Reason for Your Existence
8. Perioperative Pediatrics
9. Perioperative Geriatrics
Section Four: The Perioperative Environment
10. Physical Facilities
11. Ambulatory Surgery Centers and Alternative Surgical Locations
12. Care of the Perioperative Environment
13. Potential Sources of Injury to the Caregiver and the Patient
Section Five: Surgical Asepsis and Sterile Technique
14. Surgical Microbiology and Antimicrobial Therapy
15. Principles of Asepsis and Sterile Techniques
16. Appropriate Attire, Surgical Hand Hygiene, and Gowning and Gloving
17. Decontamination and Disinfection
Section Six: Surgical Instrumentation and Equipment
19. Surgical Instrumentation
20. Specialized Surgical Equipment
Section Seven: Preoperative Patient Care
21. Preoperative Preparation of the Patient
22. Diagnostics, Specimens, and Oncologic Considerations
Section Eight: Pharmacology and Anesthesia
23. Surgical Pharmacology
24. Anesthesia: Techniques and Agents
Section Nine: Intraoperative Patient Care
25. Coordinated Roles of the Scrub Person and the Circulating Nurse
26. Positioning, Prepping, and
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2013
- 27th February 2012
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN: