- Practical step-by-step guidance to help you develop massage sequences that best meet the needs of your patients.
- Sections on massage strokes show the direction and sequence of each stroke, allowing you the benefit of using one comprehensive resource instead of several texts.
- Includes guidance in Swedish Remedial Massage techniques to help you develop proper massage techniques and sequences that best meet the needs of each individual client.
- Nearly 500 line drawings and photos demonstrate how to perform all of the basic strokes, the physiologic and therapeutic effects of each technique, and how to apply the most appropriate massage sequences to specific regions of the body.
- Photos include directional arrows that show hand position and movement across the patient.
- Updated references facilitate further study and demonstrate currency of the text.
1. Historic Perspectives
2. Anatomical Landmarks for Soft Tissue Massage – NEW!
3. Essential Requirements for Soft Tissue Manipulation
4. Classification, Definitions, and Descriptions of the Basic Massage Strokes and Relaxed Passive Movements
5. Mechanical, Physiological, Psychological, and Therapeutic Effects of Soft Tissue Manipulation
PART II: PRACTICE
6. Soft Tissue Manipulation Techniques as an Evaluation Tool
7. General Massage Sequences
8. Local Massage Sequences
9. Focal Massage Sequences – NEW!
10. Massage for the Patient with a Respiratory Condition
11. Connective Tissue Massage (CTM)
12. Decongestive Therapy for the Treatment of Lymphedema – NEW!
13. Massage in Sport – NEW!
14. Massage for the Baby and Infant – NEW!
15. Massage in Palliative Care – NEW!
16. Soft Tissue Manipulation in Complementary/Alternative Medicine (CAM) – NEW!
17. Eastern Systems of Soft Tissue Manipulation
Appendix: Closed Chest (External) Cardiac Massage