Unit 1: Foundations of Pharmacology
1. Definitions, Names, Standards, and Information Sources
2. Principles of Drug Action and Drug Interactions
3. Drug Action Across the Life Span
4. The Nursing Process and Pharmacology
5. Patient Education and Health Promotion
Unit 2: Illustrated Atlas of Medication Administration and Math Review
6. A Review of Arithmetic
7. Principles of Medication Administration and Medication Safety
8. Percutaneous Administration
9. Enteral Administration
10. Parenteral Administration: Safe Preparation of Parenteral Medications
11. Parenteral Administration: Intradermal, Subcutaneous, and Intramuscular Routes
12. Parenteral Administration: Intravenous Route
Unit 3: Drugs Affecting the Autonomic and Central Nervous Systems
13. Drugs Affecting the Autonomic Nervous System
15. Drugs Used for Parkinson’s Disease
16. Drugs Used for Anxiety Disorders
17. Drugs Used for Mood Disorders
18. Drugs Used for Psychoses
19. Drugs Used for Seizure Disorders
20. Drugs Used for Pain Management
Unit 4: Drugs Affecting the Cardiovascular System
21. Introduction to Cardiovascular Disease and Metabolic Syndrome
22. Drugs Used to Treat Dyslipidemias
23. Drugs Used to Treat Hypertension
24. Drugs Used to Treat Dysrhythmias
25. Drugs Used to Treat Angina Pectoris
26. Drugs Used to Treat Peripheral Vascular Disease
27. Drugs Used to Treat Thromboembolic Disorders
28. Drugs Used to Treat Heart Failure
29. Drugs Used for Diuresis
Unit 5: Drugs Used to Treat Disorders of the Respiratory System
30. Drugs Used to Treat Upper Respiratory Disease
31. Drugs Used to Treat Lower Respiratory Dis
Basic Pharmacology for Nurses, 15th edition, is a contemporary classic nursing pharmacology textbook known for its impeccably accurate drug content and its practical applications of the nursing process. A consistent emphasis on health promotion through medication monitoring and patient education is a hallmark of the book. Introductory units ground the reader in basic principles of pharmacology and medication administration, and subsequent body-system units apply the nursing process to every major disorder and drug class to promote safe medication administration.
- Provides an overview of relevant pathophysiology with an application of the nursing process in each drug chapter, followed by an application of the nursing process to each applicable drug class.
- Covers the pharmacology of all major classes of drugs, emphasizing side effects to expect, side effects to report, drug interactions, and more.
- Emphasizes patient education and health promotion with easy-to-recognize Patient Education and Health Promotion headings and reproducible Patient Self-Assessment forms.
- UNIQUE! Each chapter concludes with a 3-part Medication Safety Review that highlights the importance of safe drug administration and provides review and application of key chapter content related to medication safety.
- Provides need-to-know coverage of herbal therapies and dietary supplements with an Herbal and Dietary Supplement Therapy chapter, plus Herbal Interactions boxes throughout the chapters.
- eBook ISBN:
Professor of Pharmacy Practice, College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences, Butler University. Indianapolis, IN
Professor Emeritus, Health Occupations Department, Iowa Western Community College, Council Bluffs, IA