1. Working in Health Care
2. Your Role as a Nursing Assistant
Section 2 Caring for Others
4. Understanding Basic Human Needs
5. Understanding Human Growth and Development
6. Caring for Older Adults
7. Body Structure and Function
8. Common Health Problems
Section 3 Basic Nursing Skills
9. Infection Control
11. Body Mechanics
12. Rest, Exercise, Ambulation
13. Vital Signs
Section 4 Activities of Daily Living
16. Mouth Care
17. Personal Care and Comfort Measures
19. Nutrition and Fluids
20. Urinary Elimination
21. Bowel Elimination
22. Admission, Transfer, and Discharge
Section 5 Therapeutic and Technical Skills
23. Skin and Wound Care
24. Heat and Cold Applications
25. Specimen Collection and Testing
26. Assisting with a Physical Examination
27. Caring for the Person on Oxygen Therapy
Section 6 Special Care Needs
28. Surgical Care
29. Rehabilitation and Restorative Care
30. Confusion, Dementia, and Other Mental Health Disorders
31. Care of the Dying Person
32. Care of Mothers and Infants
33. Care of Children
34. Emergency Care Measures
Section 7 Professional Skills
35. Professional Skills
This exciting text covers all of the essential content and skills required for basic nurse assisting courses in a unique and innovative style. All the information is divided neatly into columns, which prioritizes concepts for readers in the main column so they can concentrate on the most important topics. And with over 1,000 photographs and drawings, students find this text visually stimulating. Students will also uncover all the tips and techniques, safety topics, and federal guidelines they need to be able to work in any setting.
- Prioritizes information in a unique and visually stimulating layout. Everything the reader needs to know is covered in the main column, while a narrower column covers nice-to-know information.
- Highlights all OBRA federal guidelines and safety topics.
- Provides practical tips and rationales on certain techniques and actions with How and Why boxes.
- Ensures reading comprehension for all levels of learners including English as a Second Language (ESL) students.
- Contains an appendix with Spanish translations to help communicate with Spanish-speaking patients.
- Explains important vocabulary with a list of key terms with definitions at the beginning of each chapter.
- Includes What You Will Learn objectives at the beginning of each chapter.
- Presents streamlined procedures in a 2-column format with clear, concise steps in one column and illustrations next to the steps.
- Contains special considerations for older adults, children, and diverse cultures that prepare students to provide safe and effective care to these patients.
- Highlights skills that are part of the National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP) test plan to help users study for this certification exam.
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2005
- 2nd February 2005
- Paperback ISBN:
Coordinator, Health Occupations, St. Charles Community College, St. Peters, MO