Focusing on basic word building skills, Basic Medical Language, 4th Edition provides the foundation of medical vocabulary you need to communicate with other health care team members. It explains a carefully selected group of suffixes, prefixes, and word roots to give you a basis for learning and understanding hundreds of medical terms. Clear, illustrated lessons present terms by body system, introducing word parts and providing exercises that ask you to define terms or combine word parts to create terms. Written by expert educators Myrna LaFleur Brooks and Danielle LaFleur Brooks, this text also simplifies medical terminology with online learning activities, games, and quizzes.
- Over 200 flash cards packaged free with the text make it easier to memorize terms.
- Clear, conversational approach makes it easier to learn and understand medical terminology.
- Integrated exercises test your knowledge and provide instant feedback on your progress.
- Time Out review sections are included after every four chapters to provide the opportunity to review material at regular intervals.
- Evolve resources include activities, games, an audio program, a 5,000-term English/Spanish med term glossary, and gradable, e-mailable quizzes.
- FYI boxes offer practical information and interesting med term facts.
- Introduction to Medical Language, Body Structure, and Oncology
2. Directional Terms, Planes, Regions, and Quadrants
3. Integumentary System, Colors, and Plural Endings
4. Respiratory System
Time Out 1-4
5. Urinary System
6. Reproductive Systems
7. Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems
8. Digestive System
Time Out 5-8
9. Eye and Ear
10. Musculoskeletal System
11. Nervous System
12. Endocrine System
Time Out 9-12
A: Word Parts Presented in Basic Medical Language
B: Abbreviations – Including Error-Prone Abbreviations List
C: Answers to Exercises
Appendices on Evolve
D: Additional Combining Forms, Prefixes, and Suffixes NEW!
E: Electronic Health Record Terms NEW!
F: Pharmacology Terms NEW!
G: Behavioral Health Terms NEW!
H: Dental Terms NEW!
I: Complementary and Alternative Medicine Therapies
J: Nutritional Terms NEW!
K: Health Care Delivery Terms NEW!
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2013
- 28th November 2012
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Founding President of the National Association of Health Unit Clerks/Coordinators, Faculty Emeritus, Maricopa County Community College District, Phoenix, AZ
Faculty, Medical Assisting and Allied Health and Science Community College of Vermont Montpelier, Vermont